Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Real world Trxus MT talk

I know we all love to talk tires, so I'd like to hear some real world experiences from my RS friends about the Trxus MT's on a multi-use truck. The internets seem to have two major negatives

- soft rubber means short life if driven a lot on pavement
- tires are sketchy / squirrelly at high speeds (i.e., 65 mph +)

I'm especially interested in the second point - anyone feel unsafe at high speeds in these tires? Like many of us, I need an all purpose MT like the KM2, Bighorn, Toyo MT, MTR types, but I would really like to give Trxus a try. Just don't know if they are too heavily biased toward off-road performance to make them a sub-optimal choice for a travelin' family rig that is just as likely to drive to Yellowstone as it is to wheel Chinamans.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I know we all love to talk tires, so I'd like to hear some real world experiences from my RS friends about the Trxus MT's on a multi-use truck. The internets seem to have two major negatives

I'm especially interested in the second point - anyone feel unsafe at high speeds in these tires? Like many of us, I need an all purpose MT like the KM2, Bighorn, Toyo MT, MTR types, but I would really like to give Trxus a try. Just don't know if they are too heavily biased toward off-road performance to make them a sub-optimal choice for a travelin' family rig that is just as likely to drive to Yellowstone as it is to wheel Chinamans.

1st point - true! 15k mile tire 20k till wear bars

2nd point - gray area! Once broken in and rebalanced they have good highway manors. They are very quiet for an aggressive tire and excel on all surfaces. They do not like speeds over 80!

3rd issue.......the price went through the roof on these! I was going to get another set as I found a sucker to give my BFG KM2's to. 35x12.5x16's are up to $310 a tire. Found a great price at 281.99 but with shipping it takes it right back up there.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I am on my 2nd set on the 80. I run them skinny (255/85).

Short life? Yes, compared to BFGs anyway. I got 30K out of my first set, but should have replaced them at about 25K really. The rubber is definitely soft.

Sketchy at high speeds? Its never been a problem in my experience, though I don't ever drive over 80. I've done 75 for hours with no trouble at all.

The main reason I run them is the freakish grip they have on icy and snowy roads. They grab as good as any dedicated ice tire (Michelin Arctic Alpins, Blizzaks, etc) and they last longer and you can wheel them.

They get a little loud at higher speeds and a little rough at lower speeds after about 15K. I plan on getting another set after these wear out (if I can find them and the price is still reasonable). I LOVE these tires.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

love mine!!! i definitely want to do them again. that said, it may be difficult as there was a bad work strike at interco, and they moved factories, so there will be a serious shortage for a while.

first trail with them was triple bypass last year. it poured all night and rained most of the morning and they still clung to a muddy hillside like nothing i've ever seen before. i also run 75/80 on the highway with my only squirrely issues being no sway bars. mine are just starting to vibrate a bit, so i need to get them rebalanced....i've heard that is the trick to all swampers from multiple people since they are soooo out of round from the factory.

by far the best tire i've ever had
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

X4 to what has been said all ready I love mine they are excellent in ice and snow and super sticky on the rocks I have not noticed any speed issues
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is all good to hear as I plan on a set for next summer. I just put the studs on for the winter
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

All true, they're fun to wheel for sure as they do grip well, here as well as Moab. I think it's safe to say all Interco tires are less balanced than most, and it can take a good amount of weight to get them to balance right. In my experience it took a few tries to get the Hunter Roadforce machine to agree with a couple of them, even had to re-align them to the rim more than once.

Definitely a louder tire than a BFG AT or a Toyo MT, about the same as the Maxxis Bighorn. Not sure they're any shakier at high speeds, but again it can take a lot of weight to get them balanced and that can lead to needing to have them re-balanced periodically, particularly if you wheel and either chunk a tread or lose a weight.

I don't care about the faster wear, 3 years and you're probably buying new tires anyway regardless. But the balancing issue for me is why I probably won't get them again, I'd buy another set of Maxxis before I bought Trxus again. ymmv

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, ya know I love them. Won't run any other tire, because they are so quiet and unbelievable in winter.

Still...Interco may not come back due to their financial problems. It's my understanding that nothing is in production, so you basically may have a set and no ability to get any replacements.

I just picked up another set of 37's because of this. My current tires have 15K and I am getting close to the depth of the siping, but a lot of tire left - I need a spare and plan a trailer, so that's three of the four I need anyway. Of course, 37's have more tread depth to start with.

In a smaller size I would not hesitate. If somebody besides Interco made this tire, it would be the standard for a dual purpose MT. They are rock solid at highway speed, but it's just too much tire to realistically run over 80 mph, which I don't do anyway.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, bummer. I was really looking at these in 37" for the LC and plan on putting the 35's on the LX. Guess I will look at the Cooper STT again.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

I read about the bankruptcy of their tire producer, but most of the info was from back in February/March. It will be unfortunate if Trxus goes out of business - or maybe they'll take their manufacturing to the world market (China)?