Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default I need some longer lasting towing tires

I bought the Nitto Terra Grapler due to its reputation. I got 305-70-17 E rated tires at the end of last November. I checked the depth last week after comparing mine to Sharon's and mine were at 8/32" when they started and 16/32". I have about 10k on them with 2 trips to Moab, one trip to Glenwood Springs and a trip hauling wood back from Winter Park.

I have a 1800# dry weight camper that when full is about 2500# plus 600# in the cab. I either tow my boat 100# tongue weight or my 4Runner about 200# plus tongue weight.

I can't believe that the tires wore so quickly nor can the shop that sold them to me. They will buy them back from me, still loosing money, and gove me a good deal on the new ones. I am looking at the Toyo A/T now since it has a carry rating of 2950# per tire, yeah I will bouncing around.

So does anybody know of a tire that can handle the weight, be an A/T, sized 33-35 and reasonable in price. I looked at the new General Graber, great tire BTW, but not in my weight range and size.

Give me some ideas please

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Terra grapler AT's don't last on a tow rig. Ask me how I know. However last time I went with Dura Grapplers and they are much better on my Chevy. They do not do well in snow or ice, not horrible but not excellent either, but they are smooth on the road and I have gotten good wear out of them.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had a set of Goodyear Wranglers on my Dodge which I use very similar to you carrying a camper, towing the car trailer, etc. I had 53K on them when I replaced them and they were barely to the wear bars. You do have to make sure you are running up around 50 psi when you're loaded heavy. The ride isn't as soft but the tires wear much better.

I've also gotten similar mileage out of BFG AT's on my other trucks and thats what I put new on the Dodge this time.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm not a fan but if you want longer life go with the BFG AT's.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

good thread...my BFG's SUCK...second set, 265 75 16 on my Duramax and they are E rated, never got more than 25 K on them.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

I honestly don't think your going to see much more than 30K out of any AT tire with regular towing on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Trail Ready

yokohama geolanders! 50,000 miles on my last set. They also worked well in snow and ice!!

Justin
Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

and if they don't last that long at least they are pretty affordable compared to others. I had a set on my Dodge 1500 that were great. But did not see the punishment of a heavy duty.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I honestly don't think your going to see much more than 30K out of any AT tire with regular towing on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
I have to disagree, at least on my rig. On my 07 2500 Dodge, which spends most of it's life towing a heavy car trailer with a camper on it, I got well over 50K miles on the BFG AT's. Justin at Redline even kept the tires for spares because they weren't down to the wear bars yet. I rotate them religiously at 5K mile intervals and keep the pressure at 50 psi. The truck has never been aligned since new. Make sure you're getting the heavier ply rated tires, they ride rougher but will last longer.

As far as traction, its hard to say but I have no complaints. It's a diesel truck with a lot of weight over the front axle. When the camper is on the rear its got plenty of weight there too. I've towed the loaded 26' car trailer over I-70 during icey, snow packed conditions and in 4hi it has never spun a wheel. Hell Tom, you drove it over the snow packed passes last year at the Moab pre-run with camper & trailer when we had to go Hwy 50 due to the highway closure, any complaints with the performance?

I'm not trying to sell BFG AT's, I'm just saying they've worked fine for me. My truck spends 99% of the time driving in decent conditions and rarely goes off road so I'm interested in tire longevity, being quiet on the road, and on pavement performance in snow and rain. The BFG's and the Wranglers have all met those requirements. One difference between Tom's truck and mine, which may account for the wear discrepancy, he runs a larger size tire with a suspension lift. My rig and tire size is factory stock.

I had 3 Ford F250 diesel trucks prior to this Dodge and I routinely got 50K miles on their tires, but again I ran stock size tires.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I have to disagree, at least on my rig. On my 07 2500 Dodge, which spends most of it's life towing a heavy car trailer with a camper on it, I got well over 50K miles on the BFG AT's. ...As far as traction, its hard to say but I have no complaints....I'm not trying to sell BFG AT's, I'm just saying they've worked fine for me.
x2. I got 45K on my first set, and at 40K was still the first husband out of the neighborhood in a huge snowstorm. (My wife *had* to get to work.)

I've been equally happy with my second set. 285 E's (1 size up from stock), kept at 65psi for the road and 80psi towing on an 8000lb Excursion.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com