Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Still researching but I can't find much that I like. I need/want good traction in snow and ice and miles, 40K would be nice.

I just don't know about the BFG's, had some bad exp. before but I guess things change. I do run 65 psi in them and higher when towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

I say again: I get good traction in snow and ice with my tires. You drove the truck over snow packed passes with the camper and loaded car trailer, did you spin a wheel? Or have trouble stopping?

You could put super swampers on your truck and the traction will still be crappy in the rear in 2wd unless you load it with weight. So any time the roads are bad you're going to put it in 4wd. When you do that there is going to be very little difference (detectable) in the way it performs unless you put on studded tires.

Focus on getting tires (whatever brand) that are going to give you the best value for the money in terms of mileage, sound level and smoothness since that is what will matter 99% of the time.

By the way, I checked and my tires are BFG TA's not AT's. Let me say this about the Goodyear Wranglers: I ran them on every company 4x4 I had for over 20 years. They always wore well, had good off road traction, were good on pavement tires for rain and in over 20 years I never had a flat for any reason. Keep in mind during that 20 year period I went through a set of tires each year as I was maxxing out a vehicle (100K miles) every 18-24 months, so that is close to 1M miles of experience.

They're probably way pricey but I would check out the new Goodyear Kevlar MTR's. I know the traction on them is awesome, it would be interesting to see how they wear on the road.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

My biggest problem is finding the weight requirement I need for my truck in the size I want. I am looking between 33 and 34" tires. So far the only one I found so far is the Toyo A/T but they are back ordered for a while now.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

you will find that there is still a unique division in HT tires vs AT tires. Call Stan an goodyear downtown, mention me, (john henley) and tell him exactly what you want, he'll try and meet your needs. 303 297 nine 122. The new wrangler at/r may be what you are after.

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMS View Post
yokohama geolanders! 50,000 miles on my last set. They also worked well in snow and ice!!

Justin
Completely agree. I have an Excursion with them on it. Bought the X with them pretty much brand new. I have 13K on them and barely notice any wear at all. They are 285/75/16 D rated tires. But, they are rated at 3300lbs each. They have a 50K mileage rating too. Very good in snow and ice as I can barely get the rear end to break loose when I try to in 2wd on packed or icy roads. I honestly rarely put it into 4wd. The weight of the X helps, but I am thoroughly impressed with these. They measure out at 33.1" tall based on specs too.

Discount Tire Direct has the 285s for around $147/ea too. Free shipping and no sales tax. But, your local Discount tire would match that price as well.

I would run another set in a heart beat.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have used the Geolander's before, great tire. I am looking at 38-3900 carrying capacity. Toyo has a mud terrain that will work too, might be an option.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I have used the Geolander's before, great tire. I am looking at 38-3900 carrying capacity. Toyo has a mud terrain that will work too, might be an option.

Thanks for all the input guys.
The Toyo Open Country MT is a great tire. I ran 37s on my old Excursion. They were rated at 4400lbs a piece. I have loaded the crap out of them and they barely bulged. IMHO, its the best tow rig Mud terrain around. I doubt you will get much more than 35-40K out of them though. But, they are siped, and I never had an issue with a tire at all towing a 26ft enclosed everywhere including loading 12,000lbs into it when we moved to Colorado from California. Great tire if you want an M/T.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks, good to hear somebody with real world exp. on the same tire. I guess I am going to go for those.

Quote:

TLCA #6136