Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Bad Steering

I need the collective help here to solve my steering issues.

I've done a lot of upgrades to my truck recently, including the 5.3 motor swap and 3 inch OME lift. After all this work it would want to steer slightly to the left when I accelerate and come back to the right when letting off the gas pedal.

Marco and I threw in an aussie locker and 4.11 diff in the rear this weekend and now I have a vibration when letting off the power from the diff that I didn't have with my 3.73 diff, and the worst part is that my truck flies to the left hard when I accelerate now. It magnified the previous steering problem by at least 10.

My caster angle is set at around 3+ degrees, so I can't figure out what could be the problem. One of my thoughts is that when placing the tcase into the truck and welding it in, that the tcase pinion may be left or right in relation to the frame from where the diff pinion is making it somewhat of a diagonal angle to the diff. If it is I can't see it, but I'm thinking that under power it may be trying to pull the rear diff left or right thus making the whole rear axle housing move diagonal and make the rear want to drive off to the right or left a little. Almost like driving in crab mode if you know what that means.

Any thoughts on what it could be or things to try would be helpful.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Also, I've changed out pretty much everything on the front end, all new TRE's and bushings and such, and did an axle rebuild.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

my guess... axle wrap !!! "caused by springs that are too soft fo the amount of power going to the ground " get a anti wrap bar, it should fix just about all of your issues
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

I'm thinking along those lines as well but 2 things are keeping me from thinking it is axle wrap or any other movement in the rear axle. First, Marco has the same setup and his doesn't do what mine is. Second, I don't understand why it would become worse with the locker. At the same time, all I changed was the locker so that pretty much means it's got to be something in the rear doing it, it certainly made it worse anyway.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Rising Sun member

Have you checked your toe-in on your alignment? Maybe that's not set properly...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Defentlly axle wrap because with out a locker your only sending power to one wheel. With a locker it's both. And juat because he has the "same set up" he does have a different right foot and a diffrent frame. Stress spots & week spots between frames. Also problly has diffrent tires as well. Resulting I. Different contact patch in the tires and grip caracteristics.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM

Yes, I checked the toe in and all is good there. Might look into an anti wrap bar. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Just to clarify... this is on a 60?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
Defentlly axle wrap because with out a locker your only sending power to one wheel. With a locker it's both. And juat because he has the "same set up" he does have a different right foot and a diffrent frame. Stress spots & week spots between frames. Also problly has diffrent tires as well. Resulting I. Different contact patch in the tires and grip caracteristics.
Aussie lockers only power one wheel initially at least. Also, I am not too sure it is axle wrap since they are OME Heavies and the truck is sprung under. Those springs are pretty stiff.
82 FJ40
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

It might be worth having an alignment shop measure it to see how square the rear axle is to the front axle. The number you're looking for is the thrust angle. Ask the shop if they measure that angle before having them do the work.

http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln