Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default LX450 SUT Build Thread

I have officially decided to give the LX an SUT chop, or for those that don't know what that is, it's cutting off the rear of the sheet metal at the door level, and at the front of the rear glass. The idea will be explained later.

I need to know if anyone could recommend a business or individual that makes custom soft tops out of canvas or soft top-type material.

I need to have what amounts to a snap off or zip off cover with a rear window that can enclose the rear of the vehicle.

I also need to cover the area where the factory sunroof glass is.

The basic idea is like Sam's or PKP80 on 'Mud:

I am essentially going to make this vehicle my trail rig since it is cosmetically much less quality than Whitey.

I wheeled Whitey hard last Sunday at Spring Creek in treacherous conditions and cannot come to turning it into a scratched and dented trail rig. It came out relatively unscathed.

I can also take away a lot of weight off the already heavy 80. It is already lighter now with the rear frame bobbed. I have medium springs right now giving 4" lift. I will have to swap those out for the low-lift ones or even put stock springs in with a spacer. Whitey is at 5700 lbs loaded for trails and I can make the LX come out much lighter.

The goal is to have 3-4" lift (done) with 37's. The Aussie would stay in the rear, and have an ARB locker added to the front with 5.29's. Aftermarket axle shafts/ birfs would follow.

I will be removing the LX body cladding and flares sometime soon, so let me know if you want the pieces (they are grey). They are intact with 16 years of Soccer-mom scratches. I will be removing the flares intact, but do not feel like pulling door panels and plastic to get the cladding off the doors in one piece unless someone wants to do it for me. Stay tuned...

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies

Last edited by Bikeman; 01-16-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default I think...softtopper in boulder

IIRC SoftTopper in Boulder might do this.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Put me down for possible cladding/flare wants
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

You might try Paul's Custom Covers they specialize in boats but I think they can build whatever you need
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert View Post
You might try Paul's Custom Covers they specialize in boats but I think they can build whatever you need
X2, I've had Paul build several custom tops for me and their work is outstanding.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Paul's ain't cheap though. He wanted ~ $400 to do a canvas repair that Softopper in Boulder did for $50.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
X2, I've had Paul build several custom tops for me and their work is outstanding.
X3 He may not be cheap but for making something without a previous design or plan he is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Canvas Top

I would also have to recommend Paul's... He has done some custom tops for some tours here in Estes Park, and had done a fantastic job...His work is also guaranteed for 5 years(on boats anyway) we had repair work done on our boat cover and it was no charge I would Give him the first crack. Cheers, Bob
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys. I have an appt with them on Wed.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Next week is the start of the project. I have decided I am going to persue this project since getting back from Moab. The white 80 did great, but I am after a lower CG with this project.

I have bobbed 4" off the rear frame and welded the crossmember back on.

I will be Herculining the deflared/depaneled body, so Jeff get your dibs on the grey plastic stuff.

The front stock bumper will be tastefully trimmed at the same time, then lined with Herculiner.

My welding buddy will be making some simple rear quarter panel protection.

I will be seeing a fabric top maker to get a quote on the back enclosure. I will be calling Addicted Off Road to get an idea for a "half cage".