Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

I removed the flares and panels and covered with 2 coats of Herculiner. Next week will be front bumper trimming. Bad garage photo:

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good luck, did you decide to go with Paul's customs? Will be cool to see this project as ot comes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default How to Ruin a perfectly Good Cruiser...

Some of you may freak out that I "ruined" a perfectly good Cruiser. I even reduced the carrying capacity of the "bed" to much less than a 4 door Taco. Who cares, right? It is my therapy next to This has always been a budget build.

The chop went well and everything is turning out better than expected. I have to lay some fiberglass resin down on the top of the rear pillars, which have been filled with expanded foam and seal the "bedsides" with silicon to keep water out of the rockers.

Thurday is the day when Martin from Armor Covers makes the cover, or rear soft top, vertically from the half wall to the roof. It will be made of super heavy-duty material with a clear window to boot. The half-wall or bulkhead was made from 3/4" plywood, lined with Herculiner, and bolted to the floor with angle-aluminum.

The spare tire mount is from Fabtech, and I made the license plate bracket and "security bar" that will help keep intrusion out. The alarm still works, and I even relocated the rear dome lamp forward, with factory functions from the rear doors.

I had to pull the OME 860 coils (medium 2.5" lift) that were netting almost 5" of lift. I put the stock coils back in with some Slee 30mm spacers, giving an even 2.5-3" lift. I figured 400-500 lbs were removed.

It is fun driving around with the back open and can't wait to see how the rear cab cover turns out.

Next on the list is to get the 35's off the white 80, which is getting 37's, and maybe get some sliders by springtime. Before that, I am going to order some FOA 2.5" remote-resi shocks, custom valved and either get a second Metal Tech front bumper, or get something made locally out of tube. Maybe cage it down the road.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Can't wait to see it with the soft top.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Mike, somebody done stole yer back hatch!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Some of you may freak out that I "ruined" a perfectly good Cruiser. I even reduced the carrying capacity of the "bed" to much less than a 4 door Taco. Who cares, right? It is my therapy next to This has always been a budget build.

The chop went well and everything is turning out better than expected. I have to lay some fiberglass resin down on the top of the rear pillars, which have been filled with expanded foam and seal the "bedsides" with silicon to keep water out of the rockers.

Thurday is the day when Martin from Armor Covers makes the cover, or rear soft top, vertically from the half wall to the roof. It will be made of super heavy-duty material with a clear window to boot. The half-wall or bulkhead was made from 3/4" plywood, lined with Herculiner, and bolted to the floor with angle-aluminum.

The spare tire mount is from Fabtech, and I made the license plate bracket and "security bar" that will help keep intrusion out. The alarm still works, and I even relocated the rear dome lamp forward, with factory functions from the rear doors.

I had to pull the OME 860 coils (medium 2.5" lift) that were netting almost 5" of lift. I put the stock coils back in with some Slee 30mm spacers, giving an even 2.5-3" lift. I figured 400-500 lbs were removed.

It is fun driving around with the back open and can't wait to see how the rear cab cover turns out.

Next on the list is to get the 35's off the white 80, which is getting 37's, and maybe get some sliders by springtime. Before that, I am going to order some FOA 2.5" remote-resi shocks, custom valved and either get a second Metal Tech front bumper, or get something made locally out of tube. Maybe cage it down the road.

I saw it rolling down Arapahoe Road near broadway, and was trying to determine what it was... It looked real cool , and kinda reminded be of Christo's Vladvak (or whatever he called that thing)....

I think it will be great!
KD0EXO
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

That was my buddy driving it out to Toy Car Care where he works. We traded bike stuff for a front diff reseal!

It is not cold driving it around. In fact, the heater needs to be turned down after a while.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Very cool Mike. I love it like that.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hard to believe you did it, but you did
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Here is the soft top. It could have come out better I thought, but there were numerous angles and corners that the guy had to work with. He used a very heavy-duty material, and the window material is very optically clear. I have used stick-on auto weatherstripping to make it virtually watertight. That he did well on. I am happy with the low noise factor. Part of it has to do with the bed liner material covering the 3/4" plywood half-wall that is completely sealed to the body, and that came out very well. You can see the "security bar" that was made that attaches to the seat belt mounting holes. With the off-road rack, security bar, and alarm, I feel good about it.