Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Thanks, guys. I will replace mine. When the engine is running, it seems to have a little "spring" poke out the end. Does that make any sense?
Are you talking about the metal piece of the PCV valve coming out of the red hose?

As Marco indicated, it appears your PCV valve has broken into two pieces. I've not ever seen the inside of a broken one, but it would make sense that something inside there moves.

As I understand it (someone will chime in if I am way wrong) the PCV valve is in a "closed" position at rest. With engine vacuum sucking on the end (red hose end) it opens and allows stuff (unburnt fuel, emission gas) that was not purged via the exhaust valves to be "pulled" up into the intake manifold and back into the combustion chambers. Without it being in place, that stuff builds up pressure which is not good for the engine.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
Thanks, guys. I will replace mine. When the engine is running, it seems to have a little "spring" poke out the end. Does that make any sense?
Yeah, it's broken into two pieces. there is a spring and a weight in there that acts as a valve to only allow a certain amount of flow to the intake. THe goal is that the manifold pulls a vacuum on the crank case, but dosen't suck too much air to act like a big vacuum leak. that's why with a good setup, removing something like the oil cap allows more air in and the idle increases.

throw a new one on there and see us in the mornin'
82 FJ40
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks, guys.

Martin, I kept the stock jets; it sounded like the consensus was to not fix what wasn't broken. It may run a little rich, but it hasn't been as issue so far at this elevation. The real test will come in the mountains, which I hope to do soon.

I hope to actually make one of these meeting; Wednesdays are always hard for me. If any of you guys down this way get together for lunch or beers, let me know!
'00 UZJ100
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun member

We have the DTC lunch club every week or two... typically Friday lunch. Check the Event Staging Area.

I'll have to look into getting a PCV at the dealer - the one I got at Autozone or someplace might have something to do with some of the PCV issues I've been having...thanks Marco and Ricardo for your input!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Since we're talking about PCV's, what would cause oil to back up into the hose? mine is pretty messy.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM

That is typical, especially when your cylinders age and wear. As you get blow by through the cylinder it picks up a little of the oil vapor and that vapor travels along the PCV line back into your intake so it deposits the oil vapor along the whole pcv system usually. Your intake will probably have some oil in it as well. Some people create catch cans for this reason so that the oil collects in a container instead of getting sucked back into the intake.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

A couple of other things that have come to mind:

*I adjusted my idle mixture screw out at least a full turn to where it seems to idle smoother. Could leaning out the idle mixture at least cause the hesitation to go away? Seems logical since it only happens when I go from idle to first gear, not second through fourth gears.

*I removed a "cap" on the pipe (pictured below in the circle) to the carb and replaced it after the rebuild with a temporary cap to test vacuum. What is this thing? Part of an EGR system?
Attached Images

'00 UZJ100
Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I honestly think it is running lean and that's the hesitation. Fix the PCV valve and go from there.

As far as that pipe, I am not familiar enough with the older setup to know what it is. Maybe somebody else can chime in?
82 FJ40
Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Rising Sun member

I know my carb has that, but I'm pretty sure I have it plugged. It must be an EGR thing and I haven't had that hooked up since I drove it home from the emissions place over 5 years ago...

You need it plugged though or hooked up to whatever it's supposed to be hooked up to. Definite source of vacuum leak.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, I installed a new PCV today with new hoses. I also leaned out the idle mixture screw...we are back in business. It runs better than it did before the rebuild and the hesitation is gone; thanks so much for the help guys.

The only thing I have left to do is fix my choke. The "sleeve" right behind the dash knob is disconnected; I need to figure out a way to undo the nut behind the knob. This thing is really hard to get to. Is there a way to do this without removing the heater?
'00 UZJ100