Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default yaesu vs. "other brands"

I've noticed most of you have Yaesu tranceivers...is there any specific reason like ease of use? cost? features per $? etc?

I'm pouring over all the threads and learning more about the products. Kenwood and Icom are popular, too. I'll probably go Yaesu, as well since there is collective knowledge. Just curious if any one would choose differently in hind sight.

So far...here's what I think is in store for radios:

FJ60: either the Yaesu 8800 or the kenwood TM-71A (seem comparable)
HT: probably the VX-6r
FJ40 (in a year or so): yaesu 2900R

Any Icom models I should research?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

One big bonus for the Yaesu models is commonality in the club = help learning the rig, programming the rig, etc.

I'm super happy with my 8800 aside from the fact that the buttons are not back lit at night. I've also been happy with my VX-7R although now that I have a mobile rig, the HT sees very little use.

Others in the club have Kenwood and maybe some have Icom that could help you learn/program your rig if needed.

Personally I would do all the research and pay close attention to "features", style, etc. and consider what would work best for you in each rig (mounting options, looks, etc.) and go from there. I think they are all pretty comparable between brands when looking at comparable models.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think it is like Jeff says, most folks in the club have them.

I run an ICOM IC-V8000 in my 60, but if I get another radio it will probably be the yeasu 8800 or 8900 just because others have the same radio.

I like my icom though, I've only had issues with the mic button getting jacked up which is common with these. had to open it and clean it. It is the most powerful 2M radio out there i guess, but the difference between 50 watts (yaesu 2M max) and 75 is not really noticeable I've realized. I also liked it because it had a front firing speaker on it so it went well in the 60 where I have it mounted.

picture of it mounted is on Tim's site:

http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_micholders.html

I have a decent program for the ICOM rig if you get one of those. Don't know how many ICOM's my cable covers though
82 FJ40
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Same here, I bought a Yeasu because that's what everyone else was doing.. yet I'd probably make the same call today I really like the radios and how they work.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default excellent.

thanks. That confirms things. I guess, as always, at a certain level of "X" (radios, cameras, optics, etc) for the most part it comes down to preference, ease of use(willingness to learn) and collective knowledge.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Why I run my Yaesu?

A: Because Sean was super cool and ended up giving it to me

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 AM

From what I gathered and I am not sure how scientific this information is, Yaesu usually wins new hearts because it is typically less money and feature rich. So once you get it as a new Ham, you tend to stick with it.

But I talked to some Hams that actually open everything they buy to look inside and the Icom and Kenwood are better built.

Having said that, the new radios are mostly IC and DSPs and it is possible that the construction is no longer important.

I really like to operate the FTM-350, I like the integrated GPS and APRS.
But I don't like that it burned the transmitter two months into operation.
I don't like that Yaesu took a long time to decide what to do. I don't like that the whole internal board had to be replaced for the cost of $400. I don't like that Yaesu said they will send me a new unit, but sent me an old unit.
I don't like that the Yaesu tech told me to upgrade the unit they sent me from software version 1.0 to 1.1 and when I did, the APRS was no longer working.

I do like that HRO stood behind their sale, took back the radio that Yaesu sent me, and send me a brand new FTM-350 which works very well to date.

My next radio, HF, is going to be a Kenwood or Icom.
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 11-12-2010, 11:58 AM

The problem is that it is hard to decipher how our $$$ are being spent.
What portion go to quality and what goes to features?

But at the end, guys like me rely on guys like you Dave to give us the scoop. Having said that, guys like me do have experience with equipment and sometime it is good, and sometimes it is not so good.
KD2KDK

Last edited by rhyary; 11-12-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 PM

The issue with the 350 is that everything is one board. you no longer fry a capacitor or a resistor but a whole section. Which make it necessary to replace the motherboard, like computer basically.

So you have incredible capacity and capability in a very small and efficient package, but the whole package go up in smoke as well.
KD2KDK
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a Kenwood THF-F6A and a Yaesu 857D. The UI on the Kenwood is great but the Yaesu is very complex largely due to it being VHF/HF. Moral: UI counts so get what you are comfortable with. As others have said, having the same radios as others is a great boon. It allows you to get help and program your radio very quickly.