Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Rising Sun member

Ricardo, have you thought about replacing the elastomer timing gears with a solid steel timing gear set? Since you have it apart anyway...

See Here and Here from This Thread
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Ricardo, have you thought about replacing the elastomer timing gears with a solid steel timing gear set? Since you have it apart anyway...

See Here and Here from This Thread
No I will not be replacing the timing gears. I did not even remove the timing gears from the cam or crank during the tear down. If I went this route, I would use the timing gears that we installed on the Mule a few months ago, they are/were brand new and are solid.

I stopped by the machine shop last week to drop off freeze plugs and they pointed out a small chip (likely from a puller) on the small gear but it will be fine. Both cam and crank are good. New bearings and rings will be installed, but everything else from the bottom end of the engine is "just being moved over". The head will go back on, didn't even remove the thermostat housing. Aside from the cracked block, the engine was/is great.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun member

Ricardo,

Which machine shop are you using for the work? And how difficult is it to get the engine there in pieces? Is the block light enough when stripped down that far that two people can handle it? When do you expect it back?

Waiting with bated breath...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Ricardo,

Which machine shop are you using for the work? And how difficult is it to get the engine there in pieces? Is the block light enough when stripped down that far that two people can handle it? When do you expect it back?

He just called me from Gunn Automotive on So. Federal, he picked everything up and is on his way over tonight. We'll get the block mounted on the engine stand and I'm sure he'll be rarin' to get started putting it back together.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sounds like we have a project for the Christmas party?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Anything is possible

He just left here so we are planning to put it back together on Sunday, so anyone that wants to join the fun should swing on by.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Ricardo,

Gunn is the machine shop. The called today, I picked it up and it is in Randy's shop ready to be put back together.

It is not difficult at all to get it there. The block stripped down is still heavy. I use the engine hoist to load it. Two strong backs could handle it, but I would still use a hoist.

Why all the questions - you looking at rebuilding an engine?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Rising Sun member

Sorta

I'm finding oil in my air cleaner, which is telling me that I'm getting excessive blowby and it won't be long before I'm going to need to tear it down and, at minimum, have the cylinders honed and re-ringed, and I was thinking of having it balanced at the same time. My engine has already been bored 0.040" over (or so it's been told to me) and the head has been shaved a tad, so I don't have much room to play with. Course it's probably gonna be at least a couple of years before I take this step, but I just like to have time to think these things through and have some ideas in my back pocket. That way I know exactly what I want when the time comes. Hope it comes back together well, depending on what happens I may stop by on Sunday and hang out with you guys
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I am in on the project, but I want to stay clean and just drink Randy's beers. This time

______
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
I want to stay clean and just drink Randy's beers.
Thats all you ever do, why change now? You will have to stand outside and peer in through the window to watch the proceedings unless you bring with you.