Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Why is there any difference between honing in-chassis vs. rebuild/hone in a machine shop? I mean, the honed cylinders have to broken in either way, and if the rest of it's good...

Because all you can do in-chassis is hone the cylinders and use the same size piston rings you just took out. If the block goes to the machine shop they can bore the cylinders to take out the uneven wear and allow you to put in oversize pistons/rings so the engine seals up like new.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Default Moab prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I wish. So your worst cylinder adjusted for altitude is 133 psi, next worse is 141 and the rest are almost 150. 150 is what they should be new at sea level. Generally speaking it sounds like the rings aren't in too bad of shape.
These are words of wisdom. I can't afford a full engine rebuild right now since I can't use credit cards at Gunn's, so the plan is as follows.

1) Take the head in to Gunn for a rebuild.

2) Possibly do an in-truck hone and re-ring as Randy described earlier in this thread, although as noted above, they probably aren't too bad, except in #2 and maybe #5. (Drop oil pan, remove pistons, hone and ream all cylinders, replace rings and main bearings, right?)

3) Replace the rear and front main seals.

4) Possible replace the transmission/transfer case seal, though this is not critical since I have that return kit installed so there is a bandaid fix in place.

5) Install my Aussie locker in the rear, with bearing replacement if necessary since I have those parts ready to go.

6) Inspect the front knuckles and rebuild if necessary since I have a kit ready to go. (I think they are OK since I did the front axle service at the WBPP last spring, though we didn't touch the knuckles.)

7) Adjust the parking brake and clutch (grinds going into reverse only).

8) Flush the coolant and the brake fluid.

And voila! MOAB READY.

Randy, is your shop still available starting Monday, February 7? Ricardo, are you available for guidance and some moral support? Anybody else want to help/laugh at my feeble attempts at real mechanics?
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I won't be here during the week but you and Ricardo and any other helpers you line up are welcome to use the shop.

I'm willing to bet most of your compression loss is from poorly seating valves that the new valve job will fix. On the other hand it's pretty easy to drop the oil pan at that point and replace the rings & rod bearings. Eespecially if you plan to replace the front seal requiring you to also remove the timing cover.

As far as the rear main seal, keep in mind you will also have to drop the tranny/TC in order to replace it. So you might as well replace the clutch & pressure plate at the same time too.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Thanks, Randy. I'll put in a good stock of beer!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm up for giving you a hand with the work.

That is a bummer about the finances for a machine work on the bottom end. It will be easy enough to replace rings and bearings and if there is not significant wear on the cylinder walls and journals - everything on the bottom end should be just fine for a while. That is good you will be having the head done.

I keep going back and forth in my mind if it would be better/easier to pull everything out of the truck or leave the engine in the truck. To do the rear main seal and clutch, the transmission and t-case need to come out. installing oil pan and side cover gaskets is a bit easier with the engine on the stand. Of course, leaving the engine in - minimizes the risk of mislabeling your engine mounts and the ensuing cuss fest. Either approach will work.

The locker can be done separate from the engine/drive train stuff. It is a pretty straight forward job that should easily be knocked out in an evening. I would think you front is ok, but a full rebuild (including trunion bearings) would remove any doubt whatsoever.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yep, I would be really tempted to just pull it and do the engine work on the stand. Especially since you need to do the clutch too. You may also want to take one of the spare flywheels I have and get it resurfaced while you're at it. That way you can do a first class job on the clutch rebuild. You could also replace the main bearings at the same time and do the rear main seal much easier if you do it that way.

Plus, since it would take a few days to get it all done, you may be able to get someone to split the tranny/TC case apart and help you replace that seal too while you're at it.

I have a feeling that letting the parts get mis-labeled this time won't be an issue
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

I have a good spare flywheel to turn, and a pretty good looking clutch too. I was thinking it might be overall easier to pull the engine out also, especially since Ricardo can do that with his eyes closed by now...
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
I have a good spare flywheel to turn, and a pretty good looking clutch too. I was thinking it might be overall easier to pull the engine out also, especially since Ricardo can do that with his eyes closed by now...
I think that is your best bet. Plus Ricardo just loves to paint stuff so he'll be able to get his fix better with it on the stand.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Plus Ricardo just loves to paint stuff

______
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

you know., just scanned this thread for the first time. amazing teamwork.

john (johnny) henley