Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Wincher

Default thank you!

Wow thank you to everyone for the offers of help and to use your code readers!! My day sort of blew up, so Iíll try to hit autozone after work. Iíll let you know what the code is. Should I not be driving the truck till I get this fixed? Everything seemed ok (engine temp, oil levels, ect were normal) but please let me know what you guys think. Thanks again, I definitely owe you guys a round or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frc7DegDuxk
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

No worries at all about driving the thing.. there are some conditions that will make matters worse if gone unattended but you're working on it, don't give it another thought.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Wincher

Default and the code is....

it's code P0116. which i was told relates to the ECU managing the engine & coolant temperatures. They said there are 2 parts that relate to this. One is a temperature sensor and the other is the ECU. All the parts are working ok and they recommended clearing the code and seeing if it reappears. They did say that if it came back I would probably have to replace the ECU if the other temperature sensor was still testing ok. I was also told, that there was an update from Toyota relating to this issue in the 97 land cruisers and recommended replacing the ECU with this new update.

Has anyone else run into this code or had the ECU replaced? Iíve called around to check on prices to replace the ECU and itís something that I canít afford to have a shop do right now so if it comes back Iíll need to look at doing this myselfÖ Please let me know what you guys think and THANKS as always your thoughts and recommendations!!!

Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frc7DegDuxk
Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Toyota Tis P0116=
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CI__P0116_.pdf (39.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

P0116 is a new one to me...I'd probably do a quick search of MUD too though just to see what others, if any, have found with this.

I have to imagine that a new temp sensor has got to be a lot less expensive than a new/used ECU so even if the tests showed the sensor is ok, I'd probably replace it. Sensors can get flaky and be fine when tested only to be flaky at other times (i.e. when heated or cold etc.). One of my O2 sensors tested fine on the 80 90% of the time before it threw a code...

As for the work...No need to take the 80 to a dealer. Lots of help in the club whether free amatuer help or reasonably prices professional help - We can give you names/suggestions based on where you are and who has the time to help you out. I've gotten to the point where unless the work is something I'll likely have to repeat in the future (front axle service, brakes, etc.), I would rather pay someone in the club to fix the issue and be done with it and most likely never have to deal with it again.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater