Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Stereo upgrades

I've been thinking a lot about upgrading the stereo in the 80, primarily for better sound and Ipod support. Somehow I've blown right past the cheaper single DIN and Scion options, and started looking at the touch screen head units with GPS/Nav support. Most are 4" double din units that will fit in place of the stock radio with some minor trimming of the plastic.

Seems like most support a remote cable (or USB plugin) for Ipod use, and I see that there are wire harnesses on ebay that would allow you to plug into the stock (amp bypass) wiring harness, and then splice this new harness into the new headunit.

This model is sweet, and seemingly mounts into a Toyota with the least amount of trouble. Predecessor to the AVN5500 and AVN6620, both which are popular in the Toyota circles.

Eclipse AVN726e

The Pioneer AVIC series seem nice too, and I've always liked Pioneer as a brand. And these units have internal speed sensors so you don't have to tap into the VSS.

Pioneer AVIC 920

Anyone running either of these units? Or does anyone have something else (Kenwood) that they like? And I wonder if these units would hold up to the dust and dirt and heavy duty use that 4 wheeler would put them through?

Let me know.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Have you upgraded speakers and added a subwoofer? A high-end head unit won't make a huge sound difference without that. I have a basic Alpine deck, newer speakers in the doors, and a 8" sub driven by a 300W mono Amp. Sub box built into drawers. Not a very expensive system but ask anyone on the Maze trip, it works. Has USB input for Ipod or any other aux devices (can even just hook up a external hard drive up to 30 GB). Wheeling has never affected any of my stereos.
The wire harness you mention is nice to use, I have one.
I like the idea of a SD card slot.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

No personal experience with Eclipse but I have heard good things.

Not the one you mention but I have a Pioneer DVD touch screen double din (no nav) in both the 80 and Taco and it had not had any issues with them. The intergrated iPod controls are great, much better than the Alpine they replaced.
I like the one you linked and now I am seriously considering an upgrade to a unit with nav because my current unit will not work with many of the newer iPods/iPhones and I would like to upgrade there as well.

The wiring harness should make things easier, there is not much room behind the radio when you start trying to use the USB/iPod cables and RCA inputs for amps, cameras or external monitors.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree about speakers Daniel. I haven't done the research yet, but you're right about the sound quality.

I've never had a car with Nav, and I'm pretty sure I could come out cheaper by just buying a Scion head unit and a portable GPS. That said, with the exception of the risk of theft, there are tons of "cool intangibles" about having it all built into the truck. But given the fact that I listen to mostly talk radio, I'm not sure why I think I need a new stereo.....

Other things to consider? Do the pop out monitors have a tendency to break? Touch screen quality issues? Other features I should look for?