Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Big 40 plans, anyone have past history advice?

Hi all,
I have a 76 40 that has had a 71 F mated to the original 4speed in it since the day I bought it about 9 years ago. Over this long weekend, a friend & I took it to his garage in Littleton & pulled the engine/tranny/tranfser out as a single unit. It is not a truck with a big hole in it.

I also have, in his garage, and 83/84ish (don't recall exactly) 2F from a 60, and an Australian H55F/transfer case of unknown year that are going into it.

I am told it is pretty straight forward, but this is way beyond my parts changer abilities, so I figured I would ask if anyone here has done this before & has any real-world advice?

I know I will need to have the drive shafts changed, and I will have to get some sort of crossmember mount for the tranny. But what else don't I know about? Also, any tips on what motor/tranny mounts I should put in there? What would be the best, "upgrade" piece for these?

Can anyone offer up one of the local shops to provide whatever parts I will need? I don't mind ordering from afar, or buying from Mud, but if I can give my money to a local, club affiliated shop, that is my first choice....

I've got some pics that I will post up, just in case anyone wants to see them, and thanks in advance for any advice!
Best,
abe
Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry, I meant to post this in the tech section. If someone with power can move it, I would appreciate it. Also, some pics are attached...
best,
Abe

Empty Engine Bay
Name:  40 engine bay.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  126.1 KB

2F that will go in...
Name:  2F going in.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  127.7 KB

Other side of the, "New" 2F
Name:  2F other view.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  132.6 KB

H55F prior to cleaning - Bought from a friend in Oz & brought it over in my Troopy
Name:  h55f.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  78.0 KB

Old F/tranny/tranfer that was pulled out...
Name:  pulled engine complete.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  113.3 KB
Old 11-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Trail Ready

You are going to have to run a new tranny mount, if you can get an fj-60 trans mouint that will be useable, but it will have to be modified! The rear x member will have to be modified as well! As far as I know know one offers these in a kit. We build ours according to each rig.
You will also have to figure out the e-brake as well! The split case has no provision for a drivel ine e brake. The rear axles had them instead. So a 60 rear housing for a core would be involved, cutting the rear drums off the 60 housing or cutting down the 60 housing to match the width of the 40 housing.

The fan shroud will also have to be changed, or the fan its self!
Start with that, and decide wether you want to proceed. some small things will also be involved in the process, but are very doable!

Is the fill plug of the h55 a factory plug, or has it been modified?
Justin
Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMS View Post
You are going to have to run a new tranny mount, if you can get an fj-60 trans mouint that will be useable, but it will have to be modified! The rear x member will have to be modified as well! As far as I know know one offers these in a kit. We build ours according to each rig.
You will also have to figure out the e-brake as well! The split case has no provision for a drivel ine e brake. The rear axles had them instead. So a 60 rear housing for a core would be involved, cutting the rear drums off the 60 housing or cutting down the 60 housing to match the width of the 40 housing.

Start with that, and decide wether you want to proceed. some small things will also be involved in the process, but are very doable!

Justin
Abe, Drew (Rezarf) has an FJ60 2F in his '76 - he may have some input. I think the fan clutch makes the fan closer to the radiator and affects the fan shroud, as noted above.

You can get a later model 40 series axle housing with e-brake and that may be easier than going the FJ60 rear axle route for your e-brake. Among other things, I think the leaf size (width) changed, so that's something to look into.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very cool project. If your head still has the oil galley plug, you will want to seal it up better. I'm not much help with any of the specifics on putting in the H55, but for the fabricating work; Justin at Redline is local.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMS View Post

Justin
Thanks guys! This is my first attempt at a multi-quote response, so if it is messed up, I apologize. Justin - Do you guys get to Denver often? If so, would you be willing to take on the fabrication tasks needed? Maybe you could measure what is needed & make the parts for me, then I could try to install them? As mentioned, this is way above my abilities, but I figure I'll never learn more if I don't try. But I know I don't know how to fabricate things. Maybe you guys could use the opportunity to make a, "kit" to sell. I'm guessing they would be low numbers, but could still be worth selling. Can I run no E-brake for a while, and how do I remove the old cable/transfer case brake plate thing, without cutting the cable? Also, I have no idea about the fill plug on the H55F. I think it looked normal, but I don't know for sure? Any specific mods I should look for (or need), or are you just asking if someone welded a bolt on or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Abe, Drew (Rezarf) has an FJ60 2F in his '76 - he may have some input. I think the fan clutch makes the fan closer to the radiator and affects the fan shroud, as noted above.

You can get a later model 40 series axle housing with e-brake and that may be easier than going the FJ60 rear axle route for your e-brake. Among other things, I think the leaf size (width) changed, so that's something to look into.
Thanks Subzali! Are you saying the leaf springs on a later 40 are wider, or just that they are spaced wider on a 60 than on a 40? If it works, it seems like no e-brake is easiest to do, but I will try to score a late 40 rear axle to use, as I know I don't know how to modify a 60 axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Very cool project. If your head still has the oil galley plug, you will want to seal it up better. I'm not much help with any of the specifics on putting in the H55, but for the fabricating work; Justin at Redline is local.
Hi Ricardo! I have had the freeze plug at the back of my 3FE threaded & plugged, are you talking about the same thing, or something else? It was mostly desmogged, so it has plugs put into the air rail, and might already be plugged there. But I will have to look for sure.

Thanks for all of the tips guys. Does anyone know if you can get poly bushing enging/tranny mounts, or do those only come for body mounts? My buddy is a jeep guy & he says I should upgrate to poly, but I don't think i have seen any before... Any other insights will be appreciated!
Best,
Abe
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun member

Hey Abe,

-I *think* later model 40 ('79 and up? - coinciding with the addition of the e-brake at the rear drums) springs are narrower than earlier 40 springs. So I don't know if the spring perches and hangers are different as well. It would be really nice to be able to get a later model 40 rear axle and be able to use your current 40 springs on it, but I'm not sure you can - you'll have to look into it. Hulk and rover67 have later model 40s and may be able to help. And yes an FJ60 axle is almost 3" wider than an FJ40 axle, so the spacing of the springs is wider as well.

-Keep in mind that for events like Cruise Moab an emergency brake of some kind is required, so if I were you I would try hard to incorporate an emergency brake into your build somehow. Some people run line locks...

-The oil galley plug is located on the passenger side of the engine, near the back of the head (above and aft of your distributor). It looks like this (or should when you get it fixed with a proper plug):

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...head-plug.html

-I'm not sure on the poly engine mount thing...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hi Abe!

I was wonderin... can I have that tin piece towards the front of the exhaust manifold that directs hot air to the air cleaner on the 1F? Those aren't available for my year truck and I was thinking I could make something like your work..

Project looks like fun so far!!
82 FJ40
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
... how do I remove the old cable/transfer case brake plate thing, without cutting the cable?
Are you referring to the E-brake cable? I am assuming that you disconnected it at the handle inside the cab already, i.e. you have not cut the cable and want to keep the cable in tact. If you have already cut it, then I would recommend cutting it again and leaving a stub in place.

To get the cable, you will need to remove the parking brake drum. There is be a pinion nut holding the brake drum in place. If it is a "more recent" pinion nut it is likely staked, use a punch/chisel to un-stake the nut. An impact wrench is very nice to spin off the nut. You can use a bar (crow/pry/long stiff rod) to hold the drum from spinning - just slide it between the posts that hold the drive shaft and the ground - but be careful not to damage the threads. I don't recall clearly the washers and/or shims that are under the pinion nut - just keep track of them and the order they come off in.

With the pinion nut off, the brake drum should slide off. If it does not, rotate the brake adjuster to loosen the pads and give the drum some love with a BFH.

With the brake drum off, you will see the end of the cable and how to get it removed from the brake arm. There is also a clip that holds the sleeve of the cable inside the housing. You will need to remove this clip - try not to destroy it in the process.

Once you get the cable out, re-install everything so that it is in its right place. That said, never re-use a pinion nut when you can get a new one but for holding the parts together and in place the old pinion nut works just fine.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Hi Abe!

I was wonderin... can I have that tin piece towards the front of the exhaust manifold that directs hot air to the air cleaner on the 1F? Those aren't available for my year truck and I was thinking I could make something like your work..

Project looks like fun so far!!
Hey Marco!

I have to check the big tub of spare stuff I got with my, "new" motor to make sure I don't need it, but if not then you can have it for sure. I was just going to sell the old setup anyway, so no big deal at all. I'm not sure how quickly I can get back down there to dig through the box, plus I am using the old motor as my, "map" for what it is all supposed to look like, so I wouldn't want to pull it right away. but I will let you know ASAP.
Best,
abe