Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Are you referring to the E-brake cable? I am assuming that you disconnected it at the handle inside the cab already, i.e. you have not cut the cable and want to keep the cable in tact. If you have already cut it, then I would recommend cutting it again and leaving a stub in place.

To get the cable, you will need to remove the parking brake drum. There is be a pinion nut holding the brake drum in place. If it is a "more recent" pinion nut it is likely staked, use a punch/chisel to un-stake the nut. An impact wrench is very nice to spin off the nut. You can use a bar (crow/pry/long stiff rod) to hold the drum from spinning - just slide it between the posts that hold the drive shaft and the ground - but be careful not to damage the threads. I don't recall clearly the washers and/or shims that are under the pinion nut - just keep track of them and the order they come off in.

With the pinion nut off, the brake drum should slide off. If it does not, rotate the brake adjuster to loosen the pads and give the drum some love with a BFH.

With the brake drum off, you will see the end of the cable and how to get it removed from the brake arm. There is also a clip that holds the sleeve of the cable inside the housing. You will need to remove this clip - try not to destroy it in the process.

Once you get the cable out, re-install everything so that it is in its right place. That said, never re-use a pinion nut when you can get a new one but for holding the parts together and in place the old pinion nut works just fine.
Thanks Ricardo,
Unfortunately, I didn't think it would come apart from the handle, so I disconnected the whole brake part from the Transfer case, thinking the cable would disconnect inside. So now I have a cable, housing thing hanging under the truck. I have all the parts, but I am sure I don't have the slightest clue of how to put it back together. I will look at the cable/handle connection when I get back down there & see if i can pull it out that way.
Thanks,
Abe
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
...Unfortunately, I didn't think it would come apart from the handle, so I disconnected the whole brake part from the Transfer case, thinking the cable would disconnect inside. ... will look at the cable/handle connection when I get back down there & see if i can pull it out that way
Do you know someone practiced in the contorsion arts? The first time I did this in my rig it was a real pain. When I did it in the Mule, it was a pain - more so when I was re-installing it. A few steps that might make it easier; release the parking brake, loosen the bracket/bucket on the engine side of the firewall, lay across the passenger seat and transmission tunnel to facilitate getting the access.
TLCA #18941
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
When I did it in the Mule, it was a pain - more so when I was re-installing it. A few steps that might make it easier; release the parking brake
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
...lay across the passenger seat and transmission tunnel to facilitate getting the access.
Super uncomfortable...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Trail Ready

Hi All,

Reviving an old thread here. So far, this project has moved only a little beyond where the pics from over a year ago were. The 2f is more put together, but nothign has been installed into the truck, etc... The biggest reason for the slow action is that, contrary to my buddies best beliefs, I don't think we know enough to actually make this project happen very easily.

It was fine that it is taking forever to get done, becuase it is stored in my buddies garage in Littleton, so no harm no foul. BUT, now they just put an offer down on a house, and will be moving in like 4-6 weeks. I don't have a garaage yet (some day hopefully), and I don't really want to store all of this outside. So I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has the know-how to make this happen, that would be willing to help get the project moving along? I'd at least like to get the motor & tranny inside the truck before towing it anywhere, but would like it even more if the thing actually drove.

I was wondering if this type of project might be suitable for the CM wrenching session at Air Randy's, even though this truck won't be ready to go to Moab for a while (assuming nobody needs the space/time for an actual Moab bound truck)? If not, Shan'e garage works well, if there is someone that could help make this a reality. I'd be willing to volunteer my time/services on your projects in trade, so long as you realize I'm more of a willing warm body, than expert help so to speak...

So, is anyone out there possibly willing & able to help me get this going? Alternatively, I might need to try & do a fast sale soon on all of this stuff...

thanks,
Abe
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Abe, probably not the best time to be looking for lots of help with this given the impending CM events that have a lot of people tied up. My suggestion...don't abandon this really schweet project. instead, find or rent a new shop or temporary storage unit...anything it will fit in, get it towed there and store it until you have the help and time necessary. It is too cool a project. If yoiur newer 2F is a running engine, how about putting the tranny/tfer on it and putting it in the truck, supported by a jack where the new fabricated support will have to be, then fab up a template from plywood for what you need and bring it to Justin to have him fabricate the real deal (shouldn't take too long). Or go out to Jim's Got Parts and buy one of the supports from the FJ60s they have out there, hold it up to see what you need modified, and take that to Jason for the work. The point being, you can figure out the driveshafts/parking brake/fan clutch stuff later if you get it rollable/towable now and get it into that shop/storage locker. Just too cool a project to abandon!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
... becuase it is stored in my buddies garage in Littleton, so no harm no foul. BUT, now they just put an offer down on a house, and will be moving in like 4-6 weeks.
Bummer.

Quote:
...I don't have a garaage yet (some day hopefully),
Bigger bummer.

Quote:
...So I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has the know-how to make this happen, that would be willing to help get the project moving along?
The know-how for the H55 installation process is farily well documented - and straight forward. The challenge (for me) would be the fabricating skills and equipment access.

Quote:
...I'd at least like to get the motor & tranny inside the truck before towing it anywhere, but would like it even more if the thing actually drove.
If I were in your situation, I would be giving strong consideration to putting the engine (original F or the newer 24) and 4 speed drive train back in the truck and getting the project to where you can let it sit outside.

Quote:
...I was wondering if this type of project might be suitable for the CM wrenching session at Air Randy's, even though this truck won't be ready to go to Moab for a while (assuming nobody needs the space/time for an actual Moab bound truck)? ... So, is anyone out there possibly willing & able to help me get this going?
You are on the right track in looking for help. If I were doing the 5 speed swap, my biggest challenge would be the fabrication - because I am not a welder and lack the necessary tools. The shop (at Randy's) is well equipped with the fabrication tools and if you had the fabricating skills and this would be a great CM Wrenching session project. Over a weekend (both days would be very long) the core work for getting the engine and drive train in could be achieved. That said, if I were taking on a 5 speed swap - I would likely outsource the fabrication to Redline. While taking it on myself may save some dollors, professionals do this stuff for a living. Redline's fabrication work is top notch.

Quote:
...I might need to try & do a fast sale soon on all of this stuff...
That would be an undesireable situation. Perhaps, as suggested above, in your situation you may need to put off the 5 speed swap and for the time being re-install the 4 speed setup.
TLCA #18941
Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have several H55 swap articles on my web site. Here's one for an FJ40:

http://rzeppa.org/tech/H55.htm

One of the ways to deal with the e-brake situation is to do the monte carlo rear disk swap. There are a bunch of brackets out there to where it is a 2 banana job.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/