Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thumbs up F.5 Engine Build

I've picked up the assembly lube, rtv, oil, oil filter, coolant, engine paint, plastigauge and engine break in additive. All the nuts bolts and washer have been cleaned up - btw Toyota FIPG is not easy to remove from bolt threads.

The machine shop has cleaned the block, crankshaft, camshaft and pistons. The cylinders have been bored to match my pistons. New cam bearings and freeze plugs (OEM) were installed and both shafts polished. The machine shop also picked up new gaskets and piston rings. In addition the the block from the Mule, Randy has given me main and rod cap bearings that match up to the shafts. The necessary parts are in place.

I am really excited about this project. The FJ40 will be back in action and I get to keep the balanced rotating assembly. The camera battery is charging, so I should be updating this thread with some Tech stuff; steps, issues and resolutions of the build.

Tomorrow, I'll be putting the F.5 engine together. I'll be working at Randy's and starting about 9:00. If you are interested in seeing an engine be put together (buy a newbee) or just want to stop by and hang out - join us. Last I checked there were only a couple of beers in the fridge, so if there is plenty of room for you to bring some more. The football game will be on the radio.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Main Bearings and Caps

Upon arrival this morning, we were soon test fitting the main caps and bearings.

After putting in the block half of the main bearings, we put in place the crank shaft. Assembly lube is good and anything shiny and polished got a good coating of it. Here I am putting lube on the journals where the 3rd main bearing cap goes. Just beofre putting the crankshaft in, the cam bearings are very exposed and easy to get lubed.

SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Timing plate cover

The one big time sink throughout the day was cleaning parts that I had removed from my block and not cleaned yet; timing plate, timing cover, side cover, head, etc..

Even though the block was fresh from the machine shop, each surface that is getting a gasket needs to be cleaned. I am just finishing up the cleaning of the block surface for the timing plate.

Here is the timing plate and gasket. The oil squirter is installed and pointing down into the cylinder. Before putting the gasket on, I confirmed the oil squirter was installed at the correct depth and staked.

The timing plate and gasket are held to the block with three flat head screws and a couple of bolts. The flat head screws were staked to hold them in place.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-13-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Camshaft

TheBoomBoom is applying assembly lube to the camshaft prior to instllation.

Having the engine on a stand, it is easy to rotate it to get access. Here we have it on its side. TheBoomBoom and I worked together to get the camshaft installed and in place. Care needs to be taken when installing the camshaft so that no damage is done to the bearings.

The gear on the end of the crankshaft and the gear on the end of the camshaft have marks that need to match up. If these marks are not matched up, the timing of the pistions and the valves will not be correct.

SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-13-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Boy, I missed out on some fun!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Rings and Pistons

This was the "mystery" part of the process. I have read and researched, but there is nothing like doing it to bring it all home. Here Randy and I are going over the instructions. Randy walked us through the first one and then left us to it as he took care of some other things.

The rings are installed into each piston grove. There are four rows of rings and as each is installed the ends of the rings are placed at 6:00, 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00 as you look down on the piston. This is done so that oil does not blow by the rings. After the rings are installed, they are compressed using this thing.

Each piston is then put into its cylinder. The cylinder wall is lubricated with ATF fluid. The threaded posts of the connecting rod are placed in some rubber sleeves (fuel hose) to protect the cylinder walls. FJBrady and TheBoomBoom and I quickly fell into our roles; I did rings, TheBoomBoom did bearings/assembly lube and FJBrady torqued (two step) the bearing caps to spec.

In short order all the pistons were in and we had some fun turing the engine and watching the cylinders do their thing. I also lined up the marks on the shaft gears and confirmed cylinders 1 and 6 were at TDC.

SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-15-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Balance of progress

In this photo, you can see that AirRandy and Nuclearlemon have everything under control. The head gasket is in place. At first I had it on wrong, the tip here is to have the overlap going off the back of the engine.

The bottom of my head took a bit of work to get cleaned up and smooth. Nothing hard, just some scraping and cleaning. We got the head installed and torqued the bolts to spec. FJBrady put in the lifters, push rods and put the rocker assembly in place. I worked on installing the timing cover; it had to be cleaned, seal replaced. TheBoomBoom started cleaning the side cover. It was getting late, but before knocking off for the evening, we cleaned the block and layed down some engine paint. Here is where it sits now

I am familiar and experienced with all the other work needing to be finished. It is nice to see everything coming together. TheBoomBoom and I will likely get the rebuild done before the weekend. Perhaps even get the engine and drivetrain back into the truck.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-13-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Looking good Ricardo, it will be running before you know it.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looking good!

Can't wait to hear it crank up!
82 FJ40