Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Trail Ready

Congrats on getting her back together Ricardo!!

Justin
Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun member

Looks like Randy and Ige have everything under control!

Great job Ricardo! The writeup and pictures are really great!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Looks like Randy and Ige have everything under control!

Great job Ricardo! The writeup and pictures are really great!
You have no idea how stressful it is for us to supervise the unskilled! It took numerous to ease the suffering
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

lol...some more pics
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

more pics
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Rising Sun Commander

that's awesome, Ricardo, can't wait to hear that engine run. Like we were saying at the party you own that thing, nothing can stump you now!!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Progress Wed and Thur evenings

TheBoomBoom and I worked on the engine Wednesday evening. TheBoomBoom double checked the torque on rocker assembly, connecting rod caps and mains. We also confirmed that rod caps were aligned the way they should be, i.e. stamped numbers on the same side. TheBoomBoom set the valve lash. We inspected the oil pump gear clearance, it is like new. We Installed the oil pump and dizzy - dizzy stabs smooth.

We dropped more paint on the block. We also touched up the valve cover, side cover. I also scrubbed the battery holder and pulley and dropped paint on them. All the covers were cleaned an prepped for installation.

Thursday evening I went back and AirRandy gave me a hand with a few things, removing the dipstick tube, replacing the pilot bearing, intalling the oil pan and covers. When I left last night the engine rebuild is "complete". On Saturday, we'll put the engine and drivetrain back in the truck.

TLCA #18941
Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Plastigauge

When the block was dropped off at the maching shop, the rest of the rotating assembly, pistons, connecting rods, connecting rod caps, camshaft, crank shaft, main caps and bolts were also dropped off.

The machine shop measures all these components to determine what machine work is needed and what size bearings are required when the engine is put back together. The machine shop I used has been around a long time and is experienced with the F/2F engine and do very good work.

In my situation, the cylinders in the block needed to bored out to match size of the pistons I wanted to use. My connecting rods/caps only needed cleaning. My camshaft and crankshaft only needed cleaning. All the metal surfaces where bearings go wer polished.

For my piece of mind, I plastigauged the #2 and #4 main caps. They were both solidly in specification. The platigaue is a thin plastic wire. A small piece is cut and placed on the journal then the cap (w/ bearing) is put in place and torqued to spec, this flattens the plastic wire. The next step is to remove the cap and measure at the widest point. Here is what the plastic wire looked like on the #4 main.

This is the measuring gauge.

As my stuff was fresh from the machine shop, the measuring was an optional step. If I were looking at rebuilding an engine, I would measure all the mains and connecting rods during the dissassembly. If everything measures within spec, there will be less machine work needed.
TLCA #18941
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Pilot bearing and gaskets

I didn't remove the pilot bearing from the cranshaft before taking it in to the machine shop. We removed the old one using the hydraulic method. AirRandy pumped the grease gun while I held the hose in place and filled the cavity with grease. Next we put in my cluth alignment SST (the input shaft from my old trashed 3 speed tranny) in place an smacked it with the BFH. We had to use some vice grips and hammer to tap everything out, but it worked very well and did not make any mess.

I had not picked up a new pilot bearing and fortunately AirRany had new one in spare and ready to go. In short order it was installed.

The oil pan gasket, side cover gasket and timing cover gaskets were installed/re-installed. I had done the timing cover on Sunday, but over torqued and split it.

I've installed the covers and gaskets while they are in the truck and have done them when they are on the stand. It is much nicer to do them on the stand as you can rotate everything for better access.

TLCA #18941
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very very nice.....way to go Ricardo.

______