Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Anyone involved with any Charities

Hey yall,

I've been really feeling that I need to get involved with something to give back and help others. Is anyone involved in a charity or group that they like?
I am open to suggestions. I would love to get involved with veterans in one way or another.

thanks,

Kyle
Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krice118 View Post
Hey yall,

I've been really feeling that I need to get involved with something to give back and help others. Is anyone involved in a charity or group that they like?
I am open to suggestions. I would love to get involved with veterans in one way or another.

thanks,

Kyle

Kyle, not sure if this is your thing or not, but I just completed a 2 year mentoring program with a HS kid from Aurora, it was really rewarding. I can give you more info if you want.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" HFS Lift Resto Thread - (Mid - Resto)

email: akfarmerslb at gmail.com
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

We're running in the Epilepsy 5K again this Sunday. I know you can sign up on site at the race Sunday morning. https://www.epilepsycolorado.org/ we have some friends (Land Cruiser owners, of course) with a child with Epilepsy.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Wounded Warrior project

My In-Laws were involved with the Wounded Warrior Project at one point, if you want to look in the direction of Veteran Support. https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krice118 View Post
Hey yall,

thanks,

Kyle
Good for you man. Are you former military?

Just heading over to the VA Hospital is a great way to give back. Some of the older veterans do not want company and they're not interested in talking. You have to have that mindset going in.

Others really enjoy the company. The VA is a lonely place and it looks exactly the way you'd expect a VA hospital to look. It's very institutional. I have met some great people by just going over there, talking to someone at the nurse's station and asking them who may like some company. These men (and women, but it's 99.9% men) have sacrificed an enormous amount for us and it's nice to shake their hand and thank them. It's really pretty fun to trade bootcamp stories and stories about guys that we've met throughout our military careers. Their's are always more exciting then mine, but it's nice to connect with someone from a completely different walk of life, era and experience. https://www.denver.va.gov/

There is also the VOA. https://www.voacolorado.org/volunteer

Craig Hospital also has an incredible volunteer program. https://craighospital.org/volunteer
Volunteering for an outing from Craig would be a fantastic way to get outside and help some amazing people trying to learn how to life their new lives. It's a little more of a process than just walking in the door like the VA, but I can assure you that the reward is worth the time. After 36 days at Craig, my first outing was huge for my mental stability. I was so tired of looking at the wheels of my wheelchair and I was ready to see anything other than the hospital grounds. You'll be interacting with spinal cord and traumatic brain injury patients. You won't be 1-on-1 in any scenario so there is nothing to worry about from a medical standpoint. They do Rockies games, local outings around the hospital, drives to the mountains, etc. These patients are just like you and me. Just a few days, weeks or months ago, they were outdoorsmen and women who were probably doing something they loved, until they fell, crashed, slipped, jumped or just plain got unlucky. They're as uncomfortable in their new mind and body as you may be wondering if you should push their wheelchair over the bump, or let them figure it out on their own. A few weeks volunteering at Craig will change your life. The opportunities are endless. Sports, outdoor activities, gardening, cooking, etc. The patients are there to learn how to live again.

"A man's greatest strides are made without taking a single step"

Toyota Trails Magazine Managing Editor
OutdoorX4 Magazine Staff
100s in the Hills Co-Director
Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Stan's suggestions are excellent, and I have to second Craig. My dad and one of my close friends both had TBIs about a decade apart and did rehab at Craig, and it's one of the most inspiring and simultaneously sad places I've been. I used to volunteer at Urban Peak which is a shelter for homeless youth, and they also have outreach, education and other programs. In fact this is a good reminder to start volunteering with them again
Old 06-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Rock Stacker

The company I work for does a lot of work with the Boys and Girls Club of metro Denver and the food bank of the rockies. The Food bank of the rockies needs people to help sort and package dry goods to be donated. http://www.foodbankrockies.org/volunteer/

I have volunteered the last several years to do general maintenance at a summer camp called Gates Camp.

A little information about Gates Camp,

Gates Camp is the ONLY sleepaway camp in Colorado dedicated to serving low-income youth. Each year, Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver takes 500 kids out of the city and into the mountains, often for the very first time in their lives. At Gates Camp, kids spend the week sleeping under the stars, singing silly songs, building campfires and connecting with a natural world they are too often removed from.

Also my wife and I frequently buy diapers and other need hygiene items for the Denver Rescue Mission. They always need donations and Volunteers.

https://serve.drmvolunteers.org/custom/501/index.php
1994 FZJ80 - 4" Slee lift, Slee front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier, 315 Duratracs, 4.88 Nitro Gears, CDL Switch, Cobra CB in Dash, Superwinch Talon 12.5SR, White Knuckle Sliders, Slee Part Time Kit w/AISIN Hubs, 3 to 1 Transfer Case Gear Reduction, Factory Locked and Loaded!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

I've been involved with the Boy Scouts of America for about 15 Years. A good program that gives structure to our young men. Also volunteer with Pilots for Paws, helping relocate pets, especially after a storm to help make sure they are rehomed.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for all the responses.
Stan - I am not military but my grandpa was in WWII and Vietman, so thats my reason for wanting to volunteer with Veterans. Looks like Craig Hospital is full on Volunteers till August. But i think today im going to go down to the VA Hospital.