Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Drawers for the cruiser? Thoughts and Opinions wanted

I'm thinking of building up a set of drawers this winter for the 100. A campout last weekend to RMNP with the family put me over the edge. We were busting at the seams with 5 of us, blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, gear, food... I think I am convinced that I would like them, however, I am open to all opinions on the matter. FWIW, I am going to add a roof box for the lightweight gear next season as I think most of the bulk is in our soft goods. However I want to address some of the recovery, cooking, general outdoor gear storage in the back of the 100.

I am thinking of:
  • Hard Mounting my ARB freezer and leaving it in the Cruiser 100% of the time.
  • 2 Drawers (undecided on height) and if I want to do side by side or stacked.
  • Creating one drawer into a slide out kitchen setup.
  • Trying to build it with a bent towards lightweight and simple.

I am also uncertain about the following:
  • Finish: Carpet, bed liner, vinyl or ???
  • Integrating my pelican cases verses building multiple drawers so I can toss them in the 40 or the 100 as needed. This would create a 1 drawer system with cargo tie downs. Trouble is packing and unpacking the pelican cases is a chore.
  • Drawer slides verses the skateboard bearing assembly method.
  • Pro's and cons of side by side verses stacking drawers.
  • Fridge slide lock verses strapping down the ARB verses hard mounting with bolts.
  • Latches with locks or just latches

Thanks for the help for those who run drawers and for sharing why or to those who don't run them and share why.

Here is my 100 loaded for 5 for a couple nights camping. We had a blast but packing and unpacking was brutal...
Attached Images

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Drew, I'm thinking about building drawers into the bed of the Taco. I have a storage system/platform that isn't working all that well for me.

I'm thinking of doing it all with 1/2" OSB because it's cheap and I'm comfortable working with it. I was also just gonna put the textured side up and painting it. That should keep things from sliding around without adding weight, cost, or labor.
KEITH
Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Having built a set for our 100 I would say first off you can't go wrong adding drawers and you'll be better off no matter what; but anyway a few thoughts:

-If you want elaborate or fancy, they may be cheaper to buy than build. For the time and money I spent I probably should have just picked up a pair of ARB's. Cost would have been close but time-wise it's a no brainer. (and I'm not really done, never will be...)

-Latches are all I've needed, nice to have locks but I've never actually locked them. I would say it's more important to have secure, rattle free closures.

-I used conventional full extension roller slides and would do again but don't forget about the slick plastic solutions where UHMW sheet material makes a decent slide without taking up any real space all while keeping it simple and cheap.

-I love my bed-liner finish in a color matching tan but it's too slick and needs a non skid cover/tie downs anyway.

-As for fringe mounting, height is the enemy. Fixed and low is easy but not great on space. High on a slide and some lids will hit the lift gate... I haven't picked up a fridge yet partly because I don't know where it will live...

-If you go full width with wings be careful that you can move it in and out of the truck. Mine have to be held and installed on a slant so the widest wing supports will just clear the rear opening. First time we installed it took a few tries to find out that they do fit, but just barely.

Light weight and simple is good for a home-build! Good luck and take lots of pics!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, GYDT285/75-16, Locked, WKOR sliders, TC UCAs/ Iron Man T-bars, OME866, D/T headers/Magnaflow, Columbus RTT, Drawers n'stuff.
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/trail truck, Icon/TC mid trav front, GYDT265/75-16C, Budbuilt Skids

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 10-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

^ Andy's setup is very nice. There are a lot of really nice drawer build threads in the 100 section of MUD and it's a good place to get ideas. NTsaint and 1407driver did some VERY nice ones. 1407driver ended up going into business selling drawer systems, although they are pricier than anything else out there. He sent us a lot of swag and had a complete set up at 100s in the Hills.
http://trekboxx.com/

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys, I have seen the trekboxx drawers, they seem very sharp and well thought out... but I think they are overkill. I really dig the fridge slide out on his setup and will incorporate some of that design into my set. Thanks for the leads on the other builds.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

There is very little I'd do differently with the system I built 8-9 (Edit: 1 years) years ago and have modified slightly over the years. Two drawers, not full length. $11 glides online (Edit: just got replacements for $8.95 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Fridge in one covered with box. Drawers are close to tailgate when extended to bear a heavy load but do not rub. At inboard end there is a subwoofer in 1/2 and too/parts storage in the other. Inverter, sub-amp, ARB dual compressor all mounted to the boxes. Place for easy access water jug on top. Carpets so dogs and gear slip less. Holes to hook ratchet strap hooks into. Plywood assembly all glued and screwed (predrill and use thin cabinet screws)
Attached Images

Last edited by Inukshuk; 11-04-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sides and inside fridge compartment.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

The low slide out under the fridge is something I may add to have an additional work surface / dedicated stove storage area.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Drew, I have two long sliding drawers with a flat deck that goes edge to edge. The drawers are great for tools, straps, jumper cables, TP, rain gear -- all the stuff that you want to be able to access on the trail but don't want to dig for.

My ARB fridge slide is mounted to the top of one side, which means I can slide it out when I want to (rare). I'd love to have one of those slides that also lowers the fridge to sit down on top of the tailgate, but they are ~$800.

The drawers (and fridge) are great, but they have actually reduced my capacity for loads of camping gear. That's OK with me, since I can now quickly get to my tools without disturbing any of the duffel bags, tents, sleeping bags, etc.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think drawers are great as long as you have another vehicle for hauling things around in. They eat a TON of cargo area, so something to keep in mind if you use the truck for getting things like: house projects (new TV, new stove, water heater, etc...), carrying bikes or other rec equipment inside the truck, childrens in the third row, etc...

I honestly wanted drawers really badly in my 4runner, but couldn't make the loss of cargo work. Perhaps there is enough space in the 100 that you can still get large items in the back, with the drawers.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead