Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Frame recall

I just got a letter from Toyota that there is now a frame recall on our 2005 Tundra. Same rust issues as on the Tacomas apparently. Has anyone dealt with Toyota or a dealership on this?

I have also been looking for another truck for myself to use as a daily driver and I had been thinking about an older Tacoma, but now I'm wondering if all Tacomas and Tundras should be avoided?

'85 FJ60
Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  QNdrQ.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  q96p.jpg
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  images.jpg
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  qkrLR0h.jpg
Size:  59.0 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Woah!

With this becoming such a problem, I'm amazed that Tacomas are still selling for such high resale amounts. At least that's what I still seem to see when browsing the ads online.

I wonder if this is going to spread to other models as well. or if it's just the trucks? I haven't heard much about 4runners, FJcruisers, 100's etc. having the rot issues. ?

'85 FJ60
Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Not to be overly dramatic or anything...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, no more Sanden OBA (factory emissions)
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Not to be overly dramatic or anything...
I'm just a little more concerned now that I'm living in an area where they "salt brine" the roads regularly.

I don't want to buy something that will break in half after a few years.

I guess now I know why you were in such a hurry to sell your Tundra?

'85 FJ60
Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

There is another thread about this. The frames on the Tacoma and Tundra were and are made domestically and in Mexico under a subcontract to Dana. The 1995-2000 Tacos were the most effected but all the 1st gen Tacos, now the early 2nd gen and some early Tundras have what Toyota calls excessive rust.

I briefly had a 2001 that was fairly rusty but it was all just cosmetic. That one lived the bulk of its life in Salt Lake City and it turns out that it's not really uncommon in their environment being a little like living next to an ocean. Isaac helped me reinforce that frame with plates, which was going to happen anyway, and I wire brushed all the rust and painted it. Toyota was only buying back 95-2000 trucks and offering frame replacements on 2001-2004 when they deemed it warranty work.

The current generation frame coverage only affects rust belt states, Colorado is not included although Iowa may be. That I don't know. From what I can tell is that, yes, the domestically designed and built trucks have frames that are not quite as good as we would expect from Toyota. They are basically similar to what is typical of the Big 3.

When you read the forums you will see a strong correlation of failed frames to NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, etc. These are states that get significant snow and use the hell out of rock salt on the roads. I don't think Toyota has statistically any more failures than anyone but has the reputation of being reliable. It's somewhat perception and that's why Toyota buys any of them back while GM would just laugh if you asked about your 10 year old rusty Silverado frame in Ohio. Always keep in mind that 1 person is posting but Toyota sells tens of thousands of Tacomas every month. There are a lot of people who have no issue.

This is the basic test:
http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...nsp_10-002.pdf

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, do your due diligence and keep it clean. I've had a lot of luck undercoating my truck with Fluid Film a couple of times a winter and will do that on the 2008 (it's been used sparingly and is living in the garage) starting this summer. That's worked to basically keep my 1991 from progressing any further than when I bought it.

For example, the photo Mike posted has been floating around for years. It's like anything on the Internet, it tends to get blown out of proportion. When you search you will find a core of postings that everyone points back to, so I have my doubts that all of them are one pot hole from complete split. OTOH, the paint is apparently thinner and there is less rustproofing from the factory, so the fact is they do rust faster than they used to. But it's not rocket surgery, buy used trucks from places that don't have rust issues and avoid ones from the northeast and midwest. Even Cruisers have the same problems eventually, succumbing to rust.

One thing I will point out, the oldest Tacomas are now 20 years old. Just spend an hour sitting at a coffee shop watching traffic and you'll see there are still a whole lot of them around. It's the same as it ever was, trucks rust and you have to keep 'em clean and treated if you want to keep it a long time. Start with a reasonably solid one and take care of it.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm just a little more concerned now that I'm living in an area where they "salt brine" the roads regularly.

I don't want to buy something that will break in half after a few years.

I guess now I know why you were in such a hurry to sell your Tundra?
Sorry, that was directed towards Mike's photos.

I wish I could have kept my Tundra. A year later there is still an ache in my heart when I think about it.

I did take it to the dealership once though because I got a letter from Toyota about frame rust. They evaluated it and it was fine. It's like Dave said - rust belt states are where it's the worst. Sorry you're in Iowa now and much closer to the rust belt.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, no more Sanden OBA (factory emissions)
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I forgot to mention, the 3rd gen 4Runners sometimes pop up with frame issues, too. Those were and still are made in Tahara plant, which makes all the Prado and derivatives. So it's not just because Toyota moved production to the U.S. or is especially cheap on the Taco and Tundra.

For example, a 13 year old 4runner:
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/99-4runne...rt-out-262070/

This is in Massachusetts.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

5th gen 4Runner in New Jersey:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ml#post1502127

FJ62 in Idaho
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/need...pinion.292993/

The Super Duty guys in the northeast complain about it:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...t-up-with.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/96...like-this.html

Duramax:
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ex...tml#post672755

Wrangler:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/an...l#post14411370

I think it's happening to all vehicles, manufacturers are going as cheap as possible in the places no one looks. Plus bodies and drivetrains last so much longer now, too.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29