Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Trying not to jinks it. Will post pics when the payment is sent.

Ken thanks for the link.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Trying not to jinks it. Will post pics when the payment is sent.

Ken thanks for the link.
Roger that
Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
congrats Chris. Here is a 2004 local and a great price, going to miss the 5-speed. Just ask Fishy

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2846226838.html
I WANT !!!
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
This looks like a pretty awesome deal. If you have priced 06's, they typically start stock in the high 20's to mid 30's. This one is built and has low miles

Needd the 90K service

http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...ies-built.html
That does appear to be a pretty good deal.

Avg price for an 03 with those miles is about $23k
Add tires $1k
Add bumpers $3k
Add lift $2k
Add drawers $1k

I'm rounding obviously, but I think you would be $30k just to duplicate using an 03, and this is an 06. Nice!
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have seen a lot of 98-01 LCs locally in the past few months or so and had a few checked out in other states. The good ones are few and far between.

The ones I have found at independent dealers are all auction vehicles. If a private owner can't or does not want to sell it and the dealership feels it is not worth cleaning up (maintenance needed) for their used car lot (after a trade), it gets dumped at auction. Then these independent guys try to sell them based on mileage but not really taking into consideration the service that is needed or the condition of the car. If you see an 00 or 01 for 11+ it is probably worse for wear. Equally really clean ones are 16-18.

I pointed out some serious service issues with one LC and the guy said, "Well I guess somebody will buy it." Today I sat in a LC that smelled like cat pee... It literally looked like it had been used for a dog kennel, chewed e-brake lever, chewed shifter..And the best part of that was the guy on the phone swore how clean it was.. Note to self, if you see the windows open in the middle of winter or anytime when looking for a used car, it usually means they did that on purpose and are trying to mitigate some bad smell..

The one I think that is a smart buy, is not my color choice but is at a great price, the 98 in Centennial for 9800.00 from a private owner. It looks to be in great shape and has had all the services done. It is on Craigslist.

The other one that looks pretty nice in Bountiful Utah. I have not seen it in person. It is an 01 with 130k on Autotrader. Maroon color, but they are asking 14,900.00. I am going to SLC tomorrow for work if anyone wants me to look at it for them, I would be happy to. They said they would work on the price. Someone is supposed to take it to their mechanic and have it checked out on Thursday. So might be a small window on this one.

One thing that is really helpful is the link Romer posted up. It is a Toyota owners website. You drop in the vin of a toyota you are looking at and if they have had it serviced at a dealership, the service records and pretty good history are there.

Hope this helps.

For now, I am backing off the search and finishing modding the LC I have. I can't be greedy, not fair for me snag another super clean one, when I already have my own.. They are just to rare..

Probably entertaining for you all to see the back and forth, it really is a process.. I am ok with jumping in with both feet and then re-evaluating if that is the best choice..Just my style.

One last thing... Be patient..Not my strong suit but it will pay off, I am sure some really clean LCs will surface soon..Probably tomorrow, since I am now hanging up my search..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics

Last edited by Caribou Sandstorm; 02-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like most search for land cruisers of all kinds of all years.

I've been eyeing this one for a while now (same one Romer posted a few pages ago)
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2846226838.html

do any of you 100 types have an opinion on this one?

This would be a family replacement vehicle for Hannah's Sienna. So a daily driver. I know the signficiant milestones (read the FAQ's etc) so I'm not looking for off road prowess, just a good solid vehicle she can drive especially in the winter instead of my 80 on 35's. Not that she can't handle my 80 but ... I'd prefer something else other than the Sienna.

so that's the 'user profile' of something like this for us ... what say anyone about this one in particular??
My first thought is its too low priced for what it is.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here's my rule of thumb on buying cars: You want a deal? Don't go to a "dealer". They make their living on knowing exactly what a car is worth and have all the tools to help them figure that out...and they have experience on their side. 9 times out of 8, a "cheap" listing price on a dealer site is that way for a reason. They want to attract a buyer on price, then keep them in the deal by getting in front of them when the buyer discovers it's not quite all that. The one's that ARE all that, are priced accordingly. So again, you want a clean one at a DEAL price? Better start putting biz cards on windshields.....

Of the 11 cars I have owned in my lifetime (Sandstorm has sold/owned that many in one year ), only one came from dealer, and that's the one I got screwed on.
It was easy I guess, but far away the most shady chit having been done to it, that I would never do when selling a car/truck. Leather seats super glued together, beat battery completed covered by a fully armor-all'd plastic cover, belts armor-all'd, but showed heavy cracks in a month, engine detail yellowed out with heat, but hey, it was "certified"!!! I even figured out they paint every front bumper they get in to make the car look like it was perfect. No prep on that paint either, at least not in my experience.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think if you take it to Slee or have Robbie look it over and you get a clean bill of health there shouldnt be any worries.

I have bought from private individuals and the dealer. I have had the dealer cars checked out and walked away from one after I read the report. The vehicle is what it is no matter the dealer or a private seller. Your job is to look behind the curtain to make sure it is what it appears to be.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Chris ,the main reason your seeing so many on independent lots is that a 98-01 is generally too old to finance. So the new car franchise dealers dump them at auction unless they are very clean. Then an employee probably buys it straight off trade.

For that vehicle I'd be focused on a private sale but not because all dealers suck. Ken said it well:

Quote:
The vehicle is what it is no matter the dealer or a private seller. Your job is to look behind the curtain to make sure it is what it appears to be.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Chris ,the main reason your seeing so many on independent lots is that a 98-01 is generally too old to finance. So the new car franchise dealers dump them at auction unless they are very clean. Then an employee probably buys it straight off trade.

For that vehicle I'd be focused on a private sale but not because all dealers suck. Ken said it well:
hmm that I had not thought of. Well, your industry knowledge is helpful.

One other tid bit I thought of on these cars, is the pictures will not show you the flaws, but the rubber trim does not lie. It is almost like a barometer for how the vehicle has lived for the last 5-10 years.

What I look for is if the center part of the molding shows up light in the picture, then it is usually way faded and almost always leads to a weathered rig.

You can also use this as an indicator for body repair. Sometimes you will see it darker on a door but lighter infront and behind.

Our 01 is 11 years old and the molding is the same color as the truck, if you see this when looking you might have a new painted rig or a pretty well kept rig.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics