Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Kind of guessing here, I will ask Chris to chime in with his experience once he gets back in town. But iirc there's a big doohickey full of lines inside the engine bay that runs the height control- similar to that spaghetti-looking thing they call A-Trac It's in the way of your second battery, iirc.. the LC would just have an empty space there on the passenger fender. Then underneath on all 4 corners is another mess of tubes & some cylinder-type stuff, really no more complex than the wheel cylinder in your 40's drum brake, but again it's in the way if you want to add most off-the-shelf sliders.

In essence I'm not sure why it would add cost to lift an LX, but it certainly adds to the inconvenience when you need to remove all the AHC stuff. But the lift itself is just cranked-up torsion bars in front and some coil springs in back, plus shocks. Really no different LX or LC. Heck if you had some medium height 80 springs you're already halfway there.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Question for all the 100 series experts...

AHC? Apparently the LX's have it while the 100s don't and from what I have read a person doesn't want the AHC

Is that because in order to put a lift you have to remove all of the AHC stuff or because of mechanical issues or ??
My 1999 LX470 has AHC. I push the up button and it rises 3". I push the down button and it drops 2". It will stay raised (or lowered) until the vehicle speeds up to a threshold (19 mph IIRC) and then it reverts back to the normal position.

AHC will also automatically level the vehicle on inclines. So on an uphill driveway the rear will lift up. It is this component of AHC that when it goes bad is where I've seen most people complain. Mine levels sometime and other times it does not - but that don't bother me enough to spend the $$$$ to correct the issue.

I figure as long as my up button works, I'm set for the minimal off road stuff I would do. As long as my down button works, I'm set for when my mom needs to get in/out of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Also, do the 100s/LXs come with an integrated brake controller harness? Few of the 100s and LXs I've seen have a hitch and I'm wondering if they came wired from the factory to easily add trailer lights and brake controllers...The 80 was a PITA to add a brake controller but my '99 Durango was a breeze.
My truck did not come with a receiver or wiring. I had lampert install the hitch and do the wiring for a flat 4 plug so I could tow my drift boat. It was not plug and play, but it works just fine.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

It comes down to what you want to do with the truck now vs. future and how old it is. I just drove an 03 LX a week ago, and on Denver roads, it really is nicer. For the wife's daily driver duty and mild weekend adventurer, I think the LX is the ticket. If I'm going to load it down with mods, then it really comes down to interior, headlights, and trim preferences. As much as I like the clean lines of the 80, the LX450 has ZERO dings in it b/c of the body panels. Not bad for where the wife parks it....

If you got a low mile 03, which you should, then just do the proper maintenance to the system. There is a fluid change you should do, and iirc there are some people trying to source the nitrogen globes (which is the common failure point). Most people on mud agree, when it's working, the system is pretty freaking sweet. I have now driven two 01's and two 03's and all of them had a working system.....for what it's worth.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I should point out that while of a different opinion, Ricardo's summary of the AHC system is also spot on. But hey, you asked and that's why we're here, to share opinions.

My intent with a 100 is load it up with camping stuff, pull small trailers, run multiple refrigerators, and twist a knob & aim directly at large pointy objects. The fact that my total investment is still less than my original purchase price of the 80 is somewhat comical, and well I guess I drive it as such. Heck, I even let Hulk drive it..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
The fact that my total investment is still less than my original purchase price of the 80 is somewhat comical
Wow, really? Is that a function of age and miles when each was purchased?
I would think that accessories cost pretty much the same between the two. Tires, lift, bumpers, sliders, rack, etc...all pretty much the same.
I paid $6700 for my 450, but I can't touch a 100 with 135k on it for that of any year.

What really blows my mind, is i just sold that SC400 with 67k on it for 7 grand. Try buying a landcruiser with that kind of mileage of ANY year for less than double.
How landcruiser resale values smoke all other cars, regardless of original cost/build quality, is beyond me. Definitely one of those "investment" vehicles that defy typical depreciation models.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well ok, maybe a stretch, but it's close- we paid $18k for our 80. I paid $13k for the 100.. do I have more than 5k more into it? possibly, but not that much more.

And in my experience everything but rear bumpers are the same or cheaper now than they used to be. Winches are less, sliders are less, fridges are less.. even gears are less. It's definitely feasible to build up a mildly capable truck on the cheap these days, even a 100 series.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is pretty to sit in a parking lot and raise and lower the vehicle

If I were to buy a 100 or LX470 the build would be mild...Even then, from what I have read with the LX470 the AHC is a problem. To lift the LX that stuff has to go away, or so I've read. You can raise the LX and lock the system out so it doesn't drop but there are long term affects by doing that. I read some concerns about the negative affects of adding sliders and bumpers and what the extra weight long term will do to the AHC system. One thing is for sure, the cost to fix the AHC appears to be pricey and I guess that is when you'd pull the trigger to pull the stuff and put on a lift.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Heck, I even let Hulk drive it..
Next time, I'm rolling it!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

The t-bars on Lexus are smaller diameter and therefore lighter weight spring, and the AHC carries a portion of the load. From what I understand it works well. You can trick it into HI or partial HI all the time by simply moving the sensor location. If you are running stock bumpers and such this works great. Add bumper, winch, ect. and the AHC goes out. Can't go wrong with either truck. Just pick the one that makes your wife happy.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Seems like they are a lot more expensive that 80 series were when I bought my 97, five or six years ago. I wonder why?