Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 4 Runner 3rd Member Question

I'm running a 3rd gen runner and I'm looking it install a rear locker. Can I pull the 3rd member out of a 3rd gen limited and swap it for my stock one? Would a swap like that work?

Thanks
TLCA#20535
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes. However, you must check the axle codes or do a spin test to verify that you have the correct gears. Alternatively, you can try to cound the teeth on both the ring and pinion gears, but it can be hard to see the pinion clearly when counting.

My advice would be to get the whole housing, not just the third. Otherwise you will have to modify your current housing. Not a big deal, just less work the other way.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Trail Ready

Isaac gives good advice. Here is a write-up for the retrofit from 4runners.org to show the work involved.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

i would also reccomend the whole axle. but yes the thirds swap. i just swaped 2 elockers into mine. now i want to swap the whole rear axle for the added width.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great info guys! Yeah I think I'd like to avoid the retrofit if possible. Next question.....anyone know of a good place to find what I need?
TLCA#20535
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM

If you can only find the Elocked 3rd, and you have a non locker 3rd, then you will need to modify the housing to take the new 3rd. Its not a bolt-in mod. Like Issac said, grab the entire axle if possible.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

its not hard at all to modify the housings.. i had to modify 2. the rear took about 30min - 1hour to modify the front took about 2-2.5 hours.. because of the fitment with the leaf springs.. nothing special just hard to get tools in that tight. it truly is just remove 4 studs, install gasket, trace out notches and new hole locations with sharpy. cut out marked sections. install third. drill out the 2 new studs and tap new threads. i also reccomend adding a bead of weld to the outside before drilling one hole (not needed, but reccomended, to have more medal for the drill bit) then install the new studs. and install 3rd.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Lifted

I concur with Tim on the housing. Modifying mine was the easiest thing on the whole job, and all I had was a grinder/cutoff wheel and a manual tap. Took maybe 3 or 4 hours, which included cleaning. The wiring was the hardest part... for me at least. DEFINITELY worth it though. I had no clue what I was doing going in, and I got through it... I say go for it. I will help ya even if ya get stuck. Was kinda fun.

I got mine from a junkyard in Cali when I was in TN. I have been over to Jim's Yota Yard a few times since I moved to Colorado, and it seems like he has always had a couple when I was there.... with the housing even, if I recall. Give him a call, see what he's got. http://jimsgotparts.com/
1996 4runner Limited, retrofitted E-locker, manual hubs, front King Coilover 2" lift, rear Landcruiser 3" lift, drop panhard bracket, 2000 4runner center console/e-brake conversion, K&N air intake, throttle body spacer, OBX headers.

Stay classy Colorado!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudo4 View Post
Great info guys! Yeah I think I'd like to avoid the retrofit if possible. Next question.....anyone know of a good place to find what I need?
I have a 3rd gen eLocker axle housing, taking up room in the garage, I'd be willing to part with. Needs a good cleaning, otherwise it's sound. Contact me after the holidays.....
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well heck! There is a Santa Claus and it's true.....he's Seldom Seen!

Brian, I'll PM you after the holidays and THANKS AGAIN! We silver runners need to stick together.
TLCA#20535