Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

So here it is. I hope that this can be another of the many exciting and fun trips Rising Sun Does this summer.

Just for and idea of what this trip has been like in the past:

A quick paced run over 3 mountain passes in one day. Typically run the third weekend in August due to snowpack levels limiting travel. (This will not be the case this year, as the 3rd weekend in Aug is the TLCA Rally). It is usually at least an overnight, but early birds could be at trailhead if a one day run is desired. Head out on friday after work, camp overnight, do the run then head home.

Typically the pass choices have included--
Pearl Pass
Taylor Pass
Schofield Pass
Italian Creek Pass (alternate)

Pass choice depends on snowpack, pass choice gives two very different routes with equally great scenery and challenge.

Starting/camping/lodging points have been:
Dorchester Campground in Taylor Park, over Cottonwood Pass, just west of Buena Vista.
OR
Crested Butte.

Some cool visiting points are the town of Ashcroft between Pearl and Taylor Passes, and Taylor Lake, just below Taylor Pass. This has always been a fun trip, and I don't ever remember the same things happening twice.

Please post interest and ideas for dates, keeping in mind the earlier it is attempted, the more likelyhood of being blocked by snow. Final dates probably will be set based on interest and availability of dates.

Nathaniel.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Rising Sun member

I could be in if it's the weekend after the rally.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Trail Ready

Default Tbp

I called my contact in Crested Butte yesterday to check on snow levels and depths. She said the snow is very deep in the trees at low elevations due to above average snowpack last winter. Most all roads leading up to the high country are impassable. When I asked about getting over Pearl Pass anytime soon, she laughed and said the snow was too deep to even get close. It looks like trip dates for the TBP this year will be tentative, as usual, but probably the 2nd half of August. The TBP trip date will have to take into consideration the RS Rally and our daughter's August 19 wedding. The trip leaves Crested Butte at 8:00 AM sharp, takes us over, in order, Pearl Pass to Ashcroft, over Taylor Pass down into Taylor Park, then over Italian Creek Pass with its pucker power shelf road, down into Crested Butte. The trip officially ends at the pub in CB with a cold brew pop. I'll continue to check snow conditions and report back here.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller
I called my contact in Crested Butte yesterday to check on snow levels and depths. She said the snow is very deep in the trees at low elevations due to above average snowpack last winter. Most all roads leading up to the high country are impassable. When I asked about getting over Pearl Pass anytime soon, she laughed and said the snow was too deep to even get close. It looks like trip dates for the TBP this year will be tentative, as usual, but probably the 2nd half of August. The TBP trip date will have to take into consideration the RS Rally and our daughter's August 19 wedding. The trip leaves Crested Butte at 8:00 AM sharp, takes us over, in order, Pearl Pass to Ashcroft, over Taylor Pass down into Taylor Park, then over Italian Creek Pass with its pucker power shelf road, down into Crested Butte. The trip officially ends at the pub in CB with a cold brew pop. I'll continue to check snow conditions and report back here.
I wanna go.....its an awesome trip! Timing will be everything!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Now that I have the 80 built, I'd love to go on this run. Our summer schedule is packed -- but Labor Day weekend might be a good option for us.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

I heard the owners of the Idlespur brewery in the Butte sold and it's going to be a clothing store now. That's really sucks. I was camping on Italian Creek last weekend and we only made it 3/4 of the way up to the first pass on the Italian trail. Huge snows up there this year.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've run it the weekend after Labor Day.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=69644

looks like schofield is already open...
TLCA#4180
Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Trail Ready

Default Date for TBP

<EDIT>"Saturday, September 9th. The meeting place will be the Dorchester Campground at 8:00 AM that Saturday morning. Dorchester Campground is on the north side of Taylor Park and the Taylor Reservoir."<EDIT>

We realize there is a conflict with the Jenny Creek work session, but as of last Sunday, Pearl Pass is still blocked due to snow, we can't go too late into September, due to new snow, and our daughter's wedding is August 19th.

Historically, the TBP has been the 3rd Saturday of August. We can't do Labor Day weekend since we are wheeling in Ouray that weekend.

Please post if you are planning on going so we can look for you in Dorchesterthat Saturday morning.

Admin edit old date and meeting place to new sept 9th date and meeting place

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!

Last edited by wesintl; 07-31-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I would love to make this trip but I am too involved with the Jenny Creek project.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133