Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

my comcast internet has been very reliable. very few down times and no issues with my modem. that said, i was pissed with the tv service side of things and their customer service twits. i had expanded basic for eight years. when they went digital, all i could get was local. when i called i was told that i would have to buy an upgrade, but it was only $29 more a month. i asked numerous times for the post special pricing and either they were deeply confused or they are trying to mislead people. i felt during our conversation it was the latter.

i got rid of tv and use an antenna now. i found online that my rate would be $60 more/month for the 100 crappy channels and four channels i liked, once their introductory special was up. i have watched one movie on my computer and it was fine and i've had ooma for phone service for a year or so and it's great too.

qwest has no plans to put fiber in my hood anytime soon so they can suck it.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for all the input - I probably need to live with Qwest until I have some better high speed options.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Comcast was the only option we had in Frisco at the time. It was great there. Bill remained the same for 4 years.(moved) I never had to deal with customer service, probably a good thing.

We are on a 3rd party provider down here in Durango now. I wish I had my Comcast back as far as reliability but customer service with 3rd party great.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Why the friggen phone line cost so much is a bend over from them.
Qwest is unique (or at least was) among RBOCs in that they will let you drop the voice phone service and keep just the DSL. I don't mind paying for the 20Mbps tier because with it I can stream TV and movies and use VoIP.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've had Comcast TV and internet at my current house now for 8 years and am very happy with the quality and consistency of the signal. I felt confident enough in it that I dropped Qwest home phone service 2 or 3 years ago and bought an Ooma VOIP system. Once you buy the Ooma hub (for around $220), the phone service is free, including long distance, This saved us the $60 per month or whatever it was we were paying for voice service. Comcast's uptime is great. Not an issue.

Dealing with Comcast when you do have an issue requires extra patience sometimes. My wife hates them for their poor customer service. They just talked me in to the Xfinity "package" which offers remote viewing of some programs via the internet. It's not quite what I thought it would be. There is no viewing of live sporting events remotely over the internet.

My opinion is, once the "deals" are up, that you are going to pay any provider for the service you get. I hate changing for the sake of changing, but I am looking around. I would be inclined to keep Comcast internet because of the consistency of the service. I've also been reading a little about using a cable card and Windows Media Center, but I'm not sure it would save me any money.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have Comcast phone, cable and Internet. You can complain about the prices, but the Internet speed is fantastic. I can watch streaming video without pausing

The Phone service has had no issues and is cheaper then qwest

I really enjoy the on demand feature of Comcast. I am not talking about pay on-demand, but all the free stuff you can watch whenever you want.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've had Comcast or ATTBI for 12 years and have NEVER, that's right, NEVER had an outage. I have Comcast Business Internet and it gets an extreme amount of traffic. That little Craigslist thing gets over 7,000 unique IPs hitting it every day. I pay $60 for the business class with a dedicated IP.

I had Qwest DSL in Scottsdale and it was miserable. I'm sure they are much better now but I wouldn't consider leaving Comcast.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Qwest is unique (or at least was) among RBOCs in that they will let you drop the voice phone service and keep just the DSL. I don't mind paying for the 20Mbps tier because with it I can stream TV and movies and use VoIP.
Yep...If you don't need/want a home phone line you can go with "Naked DSL" - Some people love their land line and will never be without it - My in-laws for instance live in an area without cell coverage and numerous times over the last upteem years the only thing still working at their house when they have been snowed in is the land line...others love their cell phones and/or VoIP and have no need for a land line.

I can't argue with the complaints about the cost of just a land line...Seems like Qwest could/should try to make it more attractive to keep but that is a double edge sword. Of course Qwest can't do anything about all of the taxes and fees they have to collect either which certainly doesn't help the cost.

We are bundled with Qwest (phone/internet, DirecTV, and Verizon) which helps save money. I've been very happy with all three despite the cost which like everyone I would like if it were less...But when I think of what people spend every month on a cell phone with text messaging and data package it amazes me when compared to what they would pay for a land line and DSL. If only you could carry that around with you

I think one thing is for sure...It appears that location has a lot to do with your overall experience and that just because Qwest or Comcast or whatever is fabulous in one area, that won't necessarily be the case in another area.

Edit: Found that the CO PUC approved the merger and one of the conditions is that the new combined company committed to investing a minimum of $70 million in broadband infrastructure in Colorado over five years.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I can't argue with the complaints about the cost of just a land line...Seems like Qwest could/should try to make it more attractive to keep but that is a double edge sword. Of course Qwest can't do anything about all of the taxes and fees they have to collect either which certainly doesn't help the cost.
I don't fault Qwest for the price of a land line, but the total cost to me was not worth it. The price was (I think) $19 for the dial tone but ended up nearly $30 with fees and taxes. People in the city where it costs nothing to get traditional phones heavily subsidize the government decree that everyone pay the same price to get a dial tone.

It costs Qwest (by assumption of U.S. West) a boat load to get that land line to a rancher in Montana and they have among the worst situation for satisfying that requirement due to geography. The west is big and spread out compared to the other Bells. Comcast and other providers are not regulated the same as RBOCs, so they don't have to provide the infrastructure to support 100 year old technology and regulation.

With VoIP I think that requirement is outdated. Wild Blue can provide IP services pretty much anywhere, so why should a switched circuit be the only option for a phone? Or at least why shouldn't someone in a very rural spot have to bare the true cost of living so remotely and pay more closely what it actually costs to run phone lines to very low density areas?

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Rising Sun member

I had Comcast while living in Golden. For one year. In 2005 when I moved out of that house I went to Qwest and have never looked back. Comcast was always going down. I don't think Qwest has ever gone down for me. Of course I have no idea what most of you are talking about VoIP etc. I'm pretty simple when it comes to this stuff so as far as what package of products is best I couldn't say. I still think my $40/month for internet only should get me faster internet than I have (I don't even know what I have, cable I think, don't know the speed or even how to check the speed), but even if it gets a little slow sometimes (which may be my computer anyway) it's always there.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD