Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Lifted

i l used to have quest, it sucked bad,made me buy a phone line for 26 bux plus internet i think was 33 bux plus the usual mystery charges that change every month, service sucked my phone line would not work in the winter too cold and would freeze up, was there fault and they wouldnt fix it... i now have time warner road runner cable, so much quicker then dsl i had,plus when they turn on your cable internet they also have to turn on cable t v to your house so......
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I dunno how much faster you want but one of the reasons I got Comcast business was the upload speeds are very fast as well. Plus the static IP. $60 and every time I turn around I have faster download and uploads.

Now it is 21/5 mb/s which is stunning.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
My other complaint with Comcast is the "shared" service which regardless of what their cute commercials state can cause the network to slow down...Look to see if they offer guarantees that you'll get the speed all the time that you are paying for.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
This is so very true and the biggest reason I'm with Qwest. Their stalk is in my yard and all of my neighbors were buying into the deals of the day. They ended up splitting my connection and my service slowed down considerably. I complained and their excuse was that my "splitters" were the reason. Yeah right.

Qwest isn't perfect but they're the lesser of two evils IMHO.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
With VoIP I think that requirement is outdated. Wild Blue can provide IP services pretty much anywhere, so why should a switched circuit be the only option for a phone?
Except our current services don't handle VOIP very well. That will change later this year when we start offering service from our new satellite. We'll have download speeds of 12 Mbps and be able to handle VOIP.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Revival! I have to sign up for a new service as my internet sharing neighbor is moving. I'm hooked on the 20MBS cable speeds I have been getting so leaning Comcast. Question is do you lease the modem at $7 per month or go buy something and if so, what?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

We have Comcast and bought a Motorola SBG6580. Probably cheaper in the long run over leasing but it's kind of a pile of crap (modem is OK, router and WAP are junk) and when you call for service it's always because of /your/ modem. So in that sense leasing the modem means if you've got a connection problem then you play dumb and blame Comcast.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Many times, the 'rental' modem is readily available on Craigslist...$7/mo adds up quickly.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Lesser of two evils?

This is a problem because this is a duopoly.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Comcast has been a PITA but for the price I can't complain. Once a year I'll randomly stop into one of the Comcast offices and threaten to cancel. This always results in a pretty good offer that I can't refuse. The latest is cable & Internet for $60/mon for 12 months. Usually they also throw in HBO & show time for three months.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Comcast is consistently rated the worst company in America according to some survey that releases annually a week or so ago. For what it's worth, I think Qwest would give them a run for their money if they were big enough to rate on a national level (maybe if they sucked less).

If you're in Boulder, Indra's Net is contemplating installing a WiMax setup to serve at least part of the city. Based solely on the technology, it looks like the speeds will be better and the service more consistent. When I called the president of the company answered the phone, was honest (they didn't offer the service I needed, but had some lesser service, but didn't feel it would suit my needs), and it was genuinely like talking to another human being (you know, the antithesis of the other two). I am in no way affiliated with them, I just want them to install the hardware so there's a third option that DOESN'T suck for my office when I get it set up down there. If you're in Boulder, give them a call and a nudge and hopefully it comes to fruition.