Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Some updates to the Turtle

I've been sitting on some parts for my 40 for a while, and finally got around to installing the new suspension. I got a smokin' deal from ARB on these parts, so I kinda went nuts since it was a one-time offer.

- OME springs front and rear
- OME Nitrochargers front and rear
- OME Poly bushings all around
- OME steering stabilizer
- OME greasable shackles and pins (except for the rear shackles, which I left as is for now)

The tires on this truck were bald and cracked, and the wheels were, well, not my taste. The Tacoma world had turned me on to the 255/85/16 size (33+ x 10), and I thought they would be a great fit for the 40 with a small lift. I was already keen on the Maxxis Bighorns and Trxus MT's in that size, but when Bikeman posted up his slightly used Bighorns, it was an easy sale.

For wheels, 16x7 is a tough size to find in aftermarket steel rims, and not that common on older Land Cruisers. I've seen where 16x8 wheels with 255/85 tires has created bead trouble when aired down < 20psi, so I didn't want to go wider than 7". I liked the OEM "smooth" look, and ended up having Stockton Wheel build a set of 16x7 rims with 3.25-3.5" of BS. Lucky for me, they came on schedule and fit like a glove. I had them shipped bare metal, so I spent some time in the garage cleaning, priming, and painting. I struggled a bit with the final color choice, thinking black, gray and off-white would all look pretty good. The final choice was the off-white, mostly because I think it compliments the green, and makes mine sorta unique. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out, but welcome your opinions as well.

The suspension ride is 100x better - really. I wouldn't have believed it would make such a dramatic difference - a great balance of stiffness, control and stability on the road. Off road TBD. As for the tires, they do a great job getting me to and from Home Depot Definitely louder than the old AT's, which is to be expected.

On to the pics:

Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks Awesome Matt!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Schweeeeet Matt!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Outstanding! Looks like a totally different vehicle.

So, when's the trail test??

'85 FJ60
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cruiser looks really cool. I like the look of those simple steel wheels. I'd like their 20 series utility wheels in 16x7, but they are $145/ea, which is almost 2x what my American Racing Outlaw IIs cost (in fairness, that was 6 years ago, tho).

Test...not too late for Rubithon. ;-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great call on the rim color. With the top and the bezel being white, I've often wondered why the only white wheels I saw on 40s where wagon style. Your rig is looking great.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great job bud, now it is starting to take the right "stance" for a 40!

I dig the white wheels, but the factory grey is awesome too with the hub caps like Martin. Keep it up man that is one nice set of upgrades!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Nice 40. That OME will settle a bit too and ride even better.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
So, when's the trail test??
Good question. It's ready for some fun, and so am I. But I'll be taking the Tacoma to Chinaman this weekend.....

Thanks all. I couldn't be happier. I was sitting at a traffic light yesterday, and some yahoo in a Samurai was yelling something out the window. When I turned to look, all I caught was a thumbs up out his driver side window. I got a chuckle, and the could only roll her eyes....

I think that next I need to spend some time on forward-facing rear seat options. Those jump seats just ain't all that safe for the youngin's.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I think that next I need to spend some time on forward-facing rear seat options. Those jump seats just ain't all that safe for the youngin's.
TRUE dat!!

The 40 is looking awesome Matt . Definitely look into a more appropriate rear seat for the little ones though. Quite a few choices out there. Everything from the Bestop and Procomp fold-n-tumble seats designed for Jeeps to more one off ideas. Are you wanting to end up with 3-pt seat belts (preferred IMO) or just lap belts?

I'm toying with a couple ideas. I want 3-pt rear belts which should be doable with the full family cage I have. Currently I have front bucket seats out of a Trailblazer (newer version) with integrated 3-pt seat belts (nice) but they are pretty tall (not so nice). The other thought is the 2nd row seats out of the older model Durangos (which I use to have). I measured and with the "20" portion cut out of the 40/20/40 I'm pretty sure they'll fit just right. They fold and tumble as well but they do not have integrated belts.

I've also read on MUD that seats out of a Dodge Colt Vista Wagon work well (fold-n-tumble). Can't remember if they are 2nd row or possibly 3rd row seats. Probably would require a trip to the salvage yard to try and locate them.

I'm figuring out now that the simplest solution would have been to just buy a ready made seat and install it ...They "seemed" expensive but in the long run are probably the least expensive option when all is said and done
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater