Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Unhappy Cracked Block

I've been loosing coolant and recently it has gotten worse. I was a bit dumfounded as I could not see where the coolant was leaking from any of the hose connections, radiator, my oil was clean and my exhaust appeared to be clean. I did notice some staining under the water pump and so I replaced it on Monday evening. While doing so, I replaced my water pump mounting bolts. The coolant leak was still there. Yesterday evening, I found the source of my leak, several cracks on the engine block.

The telltale stains have been there since shortly after I installed the engine. I had wondered from time to time where they were coming from, now I don't have to wonder any more.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

That sucks man, especially after all the work you've done to get your 40 running strong. Where did you source that engine from?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

bummer
Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

He got it from me, after I got it from someone else. If I had only known......Little bugger ran good too and it was balanced and blue printed.

Well make it right though, I've got the 1.5F block that came out of my 74. We'll bore that out to match the pistons in Ricardo's engine and swap the balanced assembly over and he'll be good to go.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
He got it from me, after I got it from someone else. If I had only known......Little bugger ran good too and it was balanced and blue printed.

Well make it right though, I've got the 1.5F block that came out of my 74. We'll bore that out to match the pistons in Ricardo's engine and swap the balanced assembly over and he'll be good to go.
Your an upstanding man Randy!!!!! Ricardo sorry to hear that your hard work was for not.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Rising Sun member

Sorry to hear about that Ricardo
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 AM

That block was cracked back in the 80's when I owned it. I had a guy who specialized in welding cast iron come in from out of town to try his best to repair the crack. As he welded the original crack with nickel rod he'd peen the surrounding area to try to keep it from cracking again as it cooled. Japanese cast being what it is, there was no joy, it just kept cracking.

I repaired the cracks I found by grinding them out and filling them in with JB Weld because I didn't want to pull the engine out again. It did seem to hold for all these years, but the engine probably had no more than 20 miles on it. It seems there are still some hairline cracks that have opened up. I wouldn't have reinstalled it without swaping the guts into a new block, but that's water over the dam now. You might want to try doing what I did back in the eighties and just grind the cracks out and JB Weld them. It did hold a pressure test back then after the first repair.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can clearly see the repairs in Ricardos pics. Best of luck on the swap Ricardo. Bummer.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I have two 2F builders if you need a new block. Free to a good home .

My North engine is - 441050 = Mar '80
My South engine is - 334175 = Dec '78
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I have two 2F builders if you need a new block. Free to a good home .

My North engine is - 441050 = Mar '80
My South engine is - 334175 = Dec '78
I've been trying to source another 2F block for ages, can I call dibs on one in trade for a case of your favorite cash, whatever?