Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Lifted

Default Cargo and tailgate panel fabrication

The cargo area of my 60 needs a bit of attention. I have ripped out the old floor carpet and the tailgate and side carpet needs to go as well.

While browsing the web for ideas i came across this site.
http://www.kavikoffroad.com/wagongear.htm

These panels seems like what I'd want on my 60. But the price tag isn't within my grasp currently. New tires and suspension are more important. Then I got to wondering if I could fabricate my own. I have some fairly large sections of 1/8" ABS plastic I can experiment with.

Doing more searching I found a local supplier for plastic sheeting in Louisville.
http://www.coloradoplastics.com/retail/
Colorado plastics will do custom cuts. So I figured I might bring in one of my side panels and see what they'd charge to cut me a new piece of ABS.

My goal is to replace the push and pull tabs with screws. A simple foam or rubber seal around the edges would keep out dust. I also would probably cover them with carpeting.

Just new panels would be great. But I'd like to see if I could rig up some hinges for quick access.

Has anyone ever done anything similar? Any tips or advice?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Have you checked out Wagongear's site? He has done some excellent work in the area of cargo and tailgate storage, you might get some ideas http://www.wagongear.com/Side_Panels.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Tim his link above was for the wagon gear stuff.

Kevin's work on that stuff is 1st class but $$$. I'd think you could make your own for much less if you got the skill and tooling.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Tim his link above was for the wagon gear stuff.

Kevin's work on that stuff is 1st class but $$$. I'd think you could make your own for much less if you got the skill and tooling.
Oh I see that now..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have the waggongear lid for my 60 if you want to check it out. Just shoot me a PM. I'll be in town this weekend.
82 FJ40
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

I too have the WagonGear tailgate lid and built my own side panels out of 1/2" plywood. It was pretty easy. Took the stock panels out, traced them on a piece of plywood, cut the plywood into shape. Since I couldn't use the little plugs, I put short bolts in the plug holes, drilled holes into the plywood, put the plywood in place and used nylon nuts to hold it in place. Not sure any of that makes sense, but i can take a few pictures and post.
TLCA#11073
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here are the pics of my side panels. For me, it didn't make sense to hinge them as Kevin does with his WagonGear panels because the back of my rig is often full of camping gear and accessing the side panels for tools, an air compressor, etc. would be a chore if I had coolers, tents, dogs, etc. back there. I also recessed my speakers and put a fancy aluminum cover in front of them for protection from bouncing shovels, wrenches, whatever. Once I black out the nuts, I'll be done.
Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Attached Images

TLCA#11073
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone View Post
Happy to answer any questions you may have.
How did you get your hand back there to hold the screw while you tightened the nylon nuts?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I took bolts with hex heads on them, put a washer and lock washer behind the head, fed it through the hole, then put another washer and bolt through it. I tightened that set up, so the bolt was securely pinched against the metal of the truck (if that makes sense) and was tight enough that it would not spin once the nylon lock washer was used. Then, I took the plywood and on the backside I drilled them out a third of the way through the plywood with a slightly larger bit. That way, the plywood would still sit flush and the bolt assembly would be recessed behind the panel. When I then put the plywood panels on, the bolt hardly stuck out. I was able to put a washer and barely thread the nylon nuts on. Once on, I cranked them down and since there were in a sense, two sets of nuts holding the bolt in place, it didn't move at all, enabling me to crank the nylon nuts down and secure everything. It's held up very well, none of the bolts have worked lose because they are really tightened down behind the plywood and the nylon nut only secures the plywood.
TLCA#11073
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

that makes perfect sense, well done!

www.gamiviti.com