Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone

hey Tim,
Coming from you, the McGyver of Land Cruiser ingenuity I take that as a real complement.
TLCA#11073
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone View Post
hey Tim,
Coming from you, the McGyver of Land Cruiser ingenuity I take that as a real complement.
NakGyver....
KD0EXO
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I have the waggongear lid for my 60 if you want to check it out. Just shoot me a PM. I'll be in town this weekend.
I think that's the part I'm interested in the most.

What I really need first is a cargo box. Going to pick up some materials tomorrow and start this weekend. A place to keep all my crap out of sight and organized will be great.

I'm pretty much going to copy this design verbatim.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/1...per-panel.html
Only I'll have one slide out drawer. The other side will be a lidded compartment where I can slide things like my Hi-lift or rifles. It will be a 2 piece design. The initial box will fit with the seat up. Later on I'll make a second box for when the seat is down.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

FWIW:

I'm planning on buying a sheet or two of ABS plastic to make new panels for The Guzzler (tm). I've got a friend in NM who made some for his BJ-74, and they looked great, so I'm going to give it a go for the 60 this next week.

I'll keep you posted, hopefully. I've got other jobs to do first (front axle rebuild, plus finish the body of the 40, and pull the engine from the 40...), but I'm hoping at least...

Dan
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Lifted

Started my cargo box today. It is 3/4" plywood. I'm using a lot of 1 1/2" corner braces.

Braced up the back with some corner braces. The plywood had some slight bends so I moved it after each screw.

I used 1 1/2" SPAX torx screws. The best IMHO. No stripping like a phillips.

Attaching the back piece was the trickiest.

The back is done. I'm shooting for total overkill on the construction.

Back braced to high heaven.

1st side on.

All 3 sides on.

Sides and middle screwed and braced.

Hit it with some Thompson's Water Seal. Tomorrow I'll install the drawer slides and make the drawer and top, time permitting.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Looking good.

What are you going use for drawer slides (and where did you source them)?

'85 FJ60
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Looking good.

What are you going use for drawer slides (and where did you source them)?
I got some 24" 100# slides from Home Depot. $16.50 for the set.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Lifted

First item of business this morning was installing the drawer slides. An easy task if you skip measuring and such. I just set them on my level and screwed them in. I used a beefier screw than what they came with.

Both slides in.

Drawer needs to be about this wide.

No table saw, so I make a line 1 1/4" in (the width between the blade and guide) and clamp some scrap even with it.

Back and one side on. I put an extra piece on the back for reinforcement.

Finished drawer. My drawer ended up being 1/4" too narrow. In order to get the slides fitting correctly I shimmed them with two 1/4" washers on each side. Slides perfect.

Fits my tool box.

Made a front for the drawer.

With the top on. Can't screw it down yet. I'm waiting for a large piece of felt to line the inside with.

Inside. I ripped that nasty carpet crap off the tailgate soon after this picture.

Put in the piece I was going to use to cover the wheel wells. There is no way to get a piece the correct width inside. The only way would be to have a split piece with a piano hinge. That way you could insert it bent. I figure that is too much trouble. I'll just make an open sided box for the front. I've run out of ambition.

Going to use a slide bolt to lock the two drawers. This way one padlock will secure both compartments. Still need carpet, mounts for the turnbuckles, a few bits of aluminum angle. The box is fairly heavy so I'm considering adding some handles or those recessed loops to make carrying easier.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I like your drawer set up, that looks nice.

Marco mentioned you were thinking about doing this, as was he, so...

I got motivated and went to Colorado Plastics and picked up two sheets of 1/8" ABS. One sheet is enough to do the side panels and the tailgate easily, with enough left over to make rear door panels. If you want to do the rear seat in it as well, you need the second sheet (of course the rear seat has to be more than 4' wide...)

Really pretty easy to work with. Jigsaw and a drill, that's all it took. $55 a sheet, they gave me the two for $50 each.
Name:  abs panel 3.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  abs panel 1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  abs panel 2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  61.5 KB

I used clips from B-D company. That place is awesome. I can easily afford to trash these clips if I have to pull the panels out, and I like having the smoother button heads than had I bolted it.

I'm going to try to get the rear door panels done tomorrow before the meeting. If you still want to do it, you can carry the sheet(s) inside the 60, but you have to fold the backseat down and snake it up and down a bit to get it to fit.

Dan
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Lifted

Very nice! Did Colorado Plastics have the Seaboard? I was looking at a 1/4" sheet that is 54"X72". Enough to do 2 sets of cargo panels.

I was trying to think of a way to put a door on the drivers side. I'll probably end up having my rear speakers exposed and also have a couple 12v sockets on that side.

I removed the wood panels one of the PO's used for mounting speakers. Discovered that he drilled one of them into the vapor separator.

The duct tape is my temporary fix. It might be best to just get a new unit.