Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Lifted

In other news I got the sleeping panel done. My attachment idea didn't work so I'll just put a strip of plywood on the back of the main box to hold it up. Been debating just removing the rear seats.

Ran out of carpet. I should have more arriving before the weekend so I can cover the drawer.

I also sent my sunvisors back home. The foam and vinyl was trashed. My mom volunteered to make me some new ones. I picked out some upholstery fabric and they'll have leather on the other side with a double layer of reflectix inside. I'll be getting the door panels done also.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Real nice. Very similar to the setup I have had for 6 years. Work great. Sleeping platforms are great too.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado556 View Post
Very nice! Did Colorado Plastics have the Seaboard? I was looking at a 1/4" sheet that is 54"X72". Enough to do 2 sets of cargo panels.
I didn't ask. I just asked about ABS plastic (it's the 2nd cheapest plastic they sell, according to the price list on the counter), and asked about 1/8 and 3/16." the 3/16" was like $94 a sheet or somesuch. Naturally i went with the 1/8" I did put some second skin on the back sides of the panels, and it definitely quiets them down a bit. It doesn't feel flimsy at all in the truck.

I didn't put a door, but I did put a removable panel on the passenger's side. Really I cut the panel with the hole for the washer reservoir, and then realized that I didn't pay attention to the texture, and the panel fit the right side perfectly, but had that hole in it. So I decided that instead of cutting a whole new panel, to just make a removable plate to cover it (and I enlarged the hole) so that I could put some power sockets, or a light or something in it, and have easy access if I wanted to modify it at a later date. I'm not doing to be storing anything in there, so removing 6 screws isn't too bad.

Looks great with the carpet! If I were going to keep the platform in there all the time, I'd just remove the seat entirely. But please, come up with a brilliant idea so that I can steal it when I decide to do something similar on our 60.

Dan
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow those panels look sweet!
82 FJ40
Old 04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Lifted

Marco went ahead and had 4 pieces of 3/16" Seaboard cut for our rear cargo panels. Colorado Plastics cut them to size at no charge.

Passenger side half screwed down. Used stainless self tapping sheet metal screws. Not going to store much on that side.

I used the old panels as templates to drill the mounting holes. Used my Dremel and a Rotozip bit to cut them to size.

Drilled out the spot welds in order to remove the supports.

Bottom right mounting hole needs a bit of grinding for the nutsert to fit. I had to return to Lowe's to pick up the threaded nutserts. The nutserts pictured do not work. The bolt/screw whatever needs to go in straight and this type forces it on an angle.

Put a layer of Reflectix on the back of the panel.

Storage for spare fluids and assorted emergency crap.

I used some 1/4" thumbscrews and bonded neoprene washers to hold it down.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very nice! Looks good back there with the plastic huh? I hope I'm not the only one who now wants to replace every last little panel in the truck with the textured plastic that I can now.

Dan
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Lifted

Im not sure if you ever got your tailgate done but, I picked up some cutting board material and replaced the carpet on my 100.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudLX View Post
Im not sure if you ever got your tailgate done but, I picked up some cutting board material and replaced the carpet on my 100.
I haven't decided what to do with the tailgate yet. Might go with a Wagongear lid for it.

The cutting board material is nice. When I had my Tacoma I wanted to make a skidplate out of it. Got the idea from someone that used it on a Lexus.

Just got a prototype MPAC rack from Springtail Solutions. It's a side rack for an FJ Cruiser. Going to mount it on the passenger side this weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudLX View Post
I like that. The stock carpet is useless for anything except trapping stains....