Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 80 series brake rotor/pad combo

MUD tech has become so diluted lately I figured I'd ask here.

I need to do the front axle service this year before CM. Figure I'll throw on new rotors and pads while in there. I have 57K on the current parts. Still OK, but nearing end of life.

Planning DBA 4000 6x6 wiper slot rotors and 100 series OEM pads.

What say you?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've no experience with that combo, but the only thing I remember reading on mud is that the 100 series toyota pads works with the 80 series toyota rotor. Meaning some folks were having issues with aftermarket stuff being a bit thicker than OEM and not quite fitting.

How long have folks been getting out of the 80 series pads? My understanding is that the 100 pads give you longer life due to larger surface area, but that's it. For my usage, I don't need extended life out of brake pads as I don't put that many miles on the cruiser in a year.

When I did my brake job I got napa rotors and OEM 80 series pads. Seem to be doing ok. I did notice a slight warp in one of the rotors up in Jackson hole, coming down teton pass in 10 below weather. I suspect it was a temporary thing due to extreme variations in temps, as its not present any more.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

That's the combo I'm running (DBA slotted and OE 100 pads) and have no complaints. The shims won't fit behind the pads due to pad thickness but I've had no noise issues that make me want the shims.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Christo?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I'm running 100 series pads with stock rotors. No room for shims. Much longer life.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I'm running 100 series pads with stock rotors. No room for shims. Much longer life.
x2 - If you really want, you can put the shims back in once the pads wear down a bit

Seems to stop fine, for a tank

That said, from what I've read and heard, rotors and pads are one area where many Toyota purists don't subscribe to the "OEM is better" thing and go with well known aftermarket stuff...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I guess I don't understand everyone's complaints on life span. I've got 57K on my currents and don't "have" to replace them but plan to as I'll have the axle apart. Seems like many on MUD blow through rotors in 20K. I must drive too responsible?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I guess I don't understand everyone's complaints on life span. I've got 57K on my currents and don't "have" to replace them but plan to as I'll have the axle apart. Seems like many on MUD blow through rotors in 20K. I must drive too responsible?
You obviously drive like an old lady!

Honestly, I don't know. I've only put about 40k miles on the LX since I bought it and replaced the pads/rotors before the old ones were worn. About the same for the 80 but fewer miles...Guess I'll know how long 100 series and 80 series pads last for me when these finally wear down from new
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

You know, I have run OEM 4 runner pads on my 60 with Brembo rotors from Tire Rack.

I think the rotors are fine as long as folks have used them before and they don't warp which it looks like the DBA's fit the bill.

SO go for the DBA's.

BUT, II have also run the Hawk HP plus ( I think they are the "street" pads now) befor these OEM ones and I liked them a LOT more. Much "grabbier" and I loved the pedal feel. They lasted a while, dunno how long. I never got them to fade even when flogging it coming down from boarding and going WAY too fast.

The OEM pads have worn nicely, but they don't have as good a feel as the Hawks. They have also faded on me before.
So, I don't know if you want to experiment, but I am going back to the Hawks before Cruise Moab. My brakes need to be gone through anyways. I may just skip to their super duty pads.

The super duty ones are on sale for the 80's on tirerack even.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...7&autoModClar=
82 FJ40
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

What my experience has been. The 100 series pad not only got more life, it did seem to increase brake performance. But only if the whole system was working good. Meaning the calipers are in good shape, brake lines in good shape, fluid in good shape, master cylinder in good shape, etc.
I think any good aftermarket rotor will be a good choice(DBA, Brembo), even some chinese stuff has come up in quality(just depends on where you want to spend your money).
I have not tried aftermarket pads in the past, but may here soon.
As for the life of the stock pads, some model years have softer pad material. Best pad year for an 80 series is for a 1997, not any of the earlier one.