Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

I learned many years ago living in Northern Wisconsin to take the battery inside on these below zero cold nights. Fortunately the FJ62 battery is simple to get out. But a warm battery has never let me down.

Did this also when my wife and I were dating. She thought I was nuts until the next morning it started easy.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Block heaters are nice, but I don't think it's consistently cold enough down here to justify one. A good and healthy battery, plus the choke/2 pump/sweet nothings/crank/warm for a few minutes method others have mentioned should work 99.9% of the time.
True. but they are only like $40 and easy as pie to install on the f/2f block. We waste more money on stuff that's like thousands of dollars that get used just as often...
TLCA#4180
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Trail Ready

For really cold starts, I hold the glow plug switch on for a few extra seconds. Works every time.

My vote for best battery is the Interstate Workhorse.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
True. but they are only like $40 and easy as pie to install on the f/2f block. We waste more money on stuff that's like thousands of dollars that get used just as often...
I agree, that's why I threw one in the 40. Now when I know it's going to be cold I just plug it in and it has heat right when I start it.
82 FJ40
Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Lifted

Good suggestions on the heater.

Who locally sells anything but the Optima batteries.

I found this one on Amazon but no luck locally.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
I learned many years ago living in Northern Wisconsin to take the battery inside on these below zero cold nights. Fortunately the FJ62 battery is simple to get out. But a warm battery has never let me down.
Did the same when I lived in the Adirondacks. The NAPAs, up there, sold quick disconnect battery clamps that made for easy in and out. I think I've seen the same type of clamps sold at the boat store for trolling motors. I would also tuck a 100w droplight between the carb and valve cover and then cover with a blanket. Worked like a champ.

In Alaska, we used battery heaters in addition to "headbolt heaters"(block heaters). They were a silicone pad with a 110v cord. Pull the batt, slap down the heater, reinsall the batt, insulate the batt, plug it in over night and you were good to go all winter.

When I was stationed in Fairbanks I had a young trooper, in my squad, that would get up way to early every am and start a charcoal briquette fire in an old turkey roasting pan. After the briquettes burned down to a red glow, he would slide the pan under the engine for a few hours. Never burned his car up and was never late for work. Didn't impressed me as being a definitive solution but convinced me enough to add a bag of briquettes and a turkey roaster to my survival supplies that I carried in my truck.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado556 View Post
My battery seems good, but it is 6-7 years old. I will be replacing it with an Optima. I was just wondering which battery to go with. Red top, blue or yellow?

I hear the blue top starting is a good bet. Curious what size will fit, group 31/34, etc?
I've sworn off Optimas

Here is a good thread on batteries:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...read.php?t=260

Check out post #46 for a locally available battery
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't have a carb anymore but I did have some troubles this morning. I would have plugged my truck in but I had it in the street so I did not do it. I had some real trouble starting it and nearly thought it was going to wear the batteries down, I have a Dodge diesel.

Like some have said a block heater works well. Put it on a timer since you don't need to have it on all night. Set it to come on about 2 hours before you need to take off. A battery blanket works like a charm too. My truck came with the winter package so it had them already but you can buy them separately also. A heated battery blanket is the best, it plugs in too and keeps your battery(s) nice and warm. If you use one of those most people keep them on all night.

Get the best battery you can afford and fit and keep it charged. You can add a quick disconnect trickle charger, not sure if it would keep up with the cold but ...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvertaco View Post
I called and they have it. Thanks! This'll be interesting- Installing a block heater on a day like this.
They had it okay. I went and picked it up got it home and it was the wrong size. Seems like the one for the 2f had been discontinued at NAPA. Oh well. I picked up a magnetic one instead. The engine starts up first time every time but the cold heater is what i am not fond of. Maybe this little magnetic block heater will help.

Thread topic: Batteries. I left the Optima camp a few years back and started using DEKA. So far so good-- and they aren't outrageously expensive.
KD0WJN
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dang sorry about that man....

I feel like I messed you up..

I just looked and on my receipt is says BK 605-3033...

that's 1 15/16 diameter or about 49mm

The one I looked up in my post I just punched in 85' FJ60...

You probably got the freeze plug out, drained everything and stuck it in there only to find it was too small...
82 FJ40