Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Tubing bender

Hey, I am making my own Soft Top Bows. I have sourced the frame for around the door (THANKS Old40dog!!!) and they are going to work GREAT. I am going to need to bend some 1" tubing with an aprox. 3" radius. I was wondering if any of my fellow RS brothers or sisters might have a bender I could borrow for a few days?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Brian

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFJ View Post
Hey, I am making my own Soft Top Bows. I have sourced the frame for around the door (THANKS Old40dog!!!) and they are going to work GREAT. I am going to need to bend some 1" tubing with an aprox. 3" radius. I was wondering if any of my fellow RS brothers or sisters might have a bender I could borrow for a few days?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Brian
Tightest bend die for 1" tubing is 3.5"! Also I am assuming you are bending conduit not weldable steel tubing......for that you will want a conduit bender as a weldable steel tube bender will crush your conduit!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Tightest bend die for 1" tubing is 3.5"! Also I am assuming you are bending conduit not weldable steel tubing......for that you will want a conduit bender as a weldable steel tube bender will crush your conduit!
Thanks UB, if the 3.5" is the center-line radius of the bend I think that will work fine. I am thinking I want to use weldable steel for this so I can weld tabs and such on. I will have to check availability of the weldable 1" but I am thinking .049 wall?? If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I know that the OEM tubing (at lease the one that drops into the tub from the door frame) is really thin.. I just replaced these with some 1" x .120 DOM and they turned out really nice and stout.

Thanks, Brian

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFJ View Post
Thanks UB, if the 3.5" is the center-line radius of the bend I think that will work fine. I am thinking I want to use weldable steel for this so I can weld tabs and such on. I will have to check availability of the weldable 1" but I am thinking .049 wall?? If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I know that the OEM tubing (at lease the one that drops into the tub from the door frame) is really thin.. I just replaced these with some 1" x .120 DOM and they turned out really nice and stout.

Thanks, Brian
I don't have a 1" round die at all.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

If your going to use tubing then 3/4" would probably be plenty strong enough. You can get tighter dies for that but JD Squared lists a 3" radius for 1" tube for my model 32 bender.(I don't have the die) but I do have a 3/4" round in a 3" radius I think. I'd have to go and look. But I'm not very close to you.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Lifted

I have a 1 inch die for a JD2 jhat I have yet to use. Let me know if you need a couple of bends and I can put it on the bender for you..
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
If your going to use tubing then 3/4" would probably be plenty strong enough. You can get tighter dies for that but JD Squared lists a 3" radius for 1" tube for my model 32 bender.(I don't have the die) but I do have a 3/4" round in a 3" radius I think. I'd have to go and look. But I'm not very close to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvertaco View Post
I have a 1 inch die for a JD2 jhat I have yet to use. Let me know if you need a couple of bends and I can put it on the bender for you..
THANKS Corbet and Denvertaco!! I got a pm from Marco and I think we have this worked out.. I will update this thread as to the progress on these bows if there is an interest.. Thanks again for the offers and I will let you know how it goes..

Brian

trail rig
Trinidad, CO