Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,561
Default

Well 8/76 is technically the beginning of the '77 model year, so the emissions components changed (slightly). I know the carburetors are a little different; for one the power valve on a '77 is internally controlled while on a '76 it's externally controlled. The VSV and VCV arrangement changed slightly as well. The jets were also leaned out, probably again to reduce emissions (though I know some emissions increase a little under lean conditions). But yes since your '76 and my '78 (carb) are both built for Fed/low alt. jetting, I would imagine your '76 would work just as well as my '78 (carb) does at altitude. Just drive to the top of Pikes Peak with it and find out
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
cbmontgo's Avatar
cbmontgo cbmontgo is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Well 8/76 is technically the beginning of the '77 model year, so the emissions components changed (slightly). I know the carburetors are a little different; for one the power valve on a '77 is internally controlled while on a '76 it's externally controlled. The VSV and VCV arrangement changed slightly as well. The jets were also leaned out, probably again to reduce emissions (though I know some emissions increase a little under lean conditions). But yes since your '76 and my '78 (carb) are both built for Fed/low alt. jetting, I would imagine your '76 would work just as well as my '78 (carb) does at altitude. Just drive to the top of Pikes Peak with it and find out
Cool stuff. Sorry to hijack your thread!
__________________
'73 FJ40
'76 FJ40
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,561
Default

No! I like web wrenching!
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,561
Default

EDIT: Found out my power valve is 80 (0.80mm) tonight (edited original post). Got the carb buttoned back up and installed, ran it for a bit! Just about ready to bring it out of the garage again and get it back on the road!
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
cbmontgo's Avatar
cbmontgo cbmontgo is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
EDIT: Found out my power valve is 80 (0.80mm) tonight (edited original post). Got the carb buttoned back up and installed, ran it for a bit! Just about ready to bring it out of the garage again and get it back on the road!
Cool! I am pretty sure that my power valve is a 1.20mm. Wonder if I should jet it down or if the primary jet change is enough?

Let me know how she is running!
__________________
'73 FJ40
'76 FJ40
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,561
Default

Seemed to run just fine last night, and I didn't change anything, so it should run great like it always has!

If I were you, I would lean out the power valve as well if you can find one and give it a try. 1.2mm seems rich to me, and it seems Jim C. recommends 0.75 to 0.80 even for sea level operation. That with either the 1.44mm or the 1.41mm 1st main would probably be a good combo, if I had to guess...
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
cbmontgo's Avatar
cbmontgo cbmontgo is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Seemed to run just fine last night, and I didn't change anything, so it should run great like it always has!

If I were you, I would lean out the power valve as well if you can find one and give it a try. 1.2mm seems rich to me, and it seems Jim C. recommends 0.75 to 0.80 even for sea level operation. That with either the 1.44mm or the 1.41mm 1st main would probably be a good combo, if I had to guess...
I just installed a 1.38mm primary and it seems to run really well down the road in Castle Rock. I also left a message with Groove Toyota today about ordering a .80mm power valve. I am going to try this combo up at elevation and see how she does.

I also have a 1.41mm primary that Ricardo is letting me try; I may use this one if the 1.38mm primary seems to lean. So far so good though.

With that said, I am still running my 2.30mm secondary. I guess I am going to leave this one alone?
__________________
'73 FJ40
'76 FJ40
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
subzali's Avatar
subzali subzali is offline
Rising Sun member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 7,561
Default

I would unless you find a reason to change it. Prior to '74 Aisan carbs came with a spare 1st main and a spare power valve for high altitude. No spares were provided for the 2nd main. Yours is more rich than mine, but there may be a difference in the secondary circuit between your carb and mine, your boosters may be different, etc. You may feel a little more oomph than I do when your secondary kicks in, maybe not.

Just keep checking your spark plugs periodically to gauge how it's running. White = too lean, Black = too rich. Tan is just right
__________________
Matt Miller
TLCA# 13684
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
cbmontgo's Avatar
cbmontgo cbmontgo is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I would unless you find a reason to change it. Prior to '74 Aisan carbs came with a spare 1st main and a spare power valve for high altitude. No spares were provided for the 2nd main. Yours is more rich than mine, but there may be a difference in the secondary circuit between your carb and mine, your boosters may be different, etc. You may feel a little more oomph than I do when your secondary kicks in, maybe not.

Just keep checking your spark plugs periodically to gauge how it's running. White = too lean, Black = too rich. Tan is just right
Thanks Matt. I will keep you posted and will continue to hijack your threads in the process.
__________________
'73 FJ40
'76 FJ40
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
cbmontgo's Avatar
cbmontgo cbmontgo is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Larkspur, CO
Posts: 852
Default

Matt,

Thanks to Ricardo and his availability of jets, I am running more "appropriately" here at elevation. I have a 1.38mm primary, 1.80mm secondary, and a .80mm power valve. Seems to have more power up hills and runs beautifully. Hope to see you up at Mosquito Pass this year!

Thanks again for your thread here; it has been a big help on clarifying how local FJ40s are jetted.
__________________
'73 FJ40
'76 FJ40
'96 FZJ80
'00 UZJ100
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.