Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

So are we doing this? I am in and have my skins, etc.. all that stuff Farnham mentioned..

Might be a bit stormy up there, should we wait for a sunny weekend??

Need the photos for my new 2010/2011 rescue slide show...
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

The only way to the truck, other than walking, is down redcone in the winter and back up.....I am not going to try it. UB might but not me
The second way is up from Webster. Nice jaunt up from Montezuma but there is a steep section along the ridge that I would also not attempt to drive up in the summer time with good weather and no snow.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I really don't think coming in or out of Montezuma is an option until summer time. That whole range has got a lot of snow this year and thinking we can come up the northside this time of year is a pipe dream! Treeroot hit it on the head in my opinion. Red Cone in and out would be our only option this time of year. Webster always has an insane amount of snow in the bowl just before climbing up the cone. I haven't checked but I would guess the seasonal gate on Red Cone has been locked since November after the last big game hunting season. I have driven up Red Cone in the past but it has been several years since I have been up there so I have no real idea of how decayed the steep hill is but by the looks of the photo's the stranded vehicle is prior to the worst (steepest) point. If the gate is open I would be interested in reconnaissance/possible extraction soon. The storm this weekend is charted to slide right through that area.....that would be pushing the odds way out of my safety zone!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

The weather report also called for wind yesterday and today. Farnham can probably let us know how windy it was today. There will be a lot of wind loading and with the warmer weather just before this storm, the snow pack will be less stable. The cold stretch we had would be good for the snow pack theoretically but it is all up in the air until tested.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

blowing like mad.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

I know we have one Pilot in the club. It seems like we really do not know which route is the least time consuming. What about the possiability of haveing a fly over in a small plane to check out some of the routes. (we use to do this when we were planing a route for some of the expeditions in Alaska).
Anyhow a thought, May need to pay for fuel and maybe a plane rental.

I might be in depending on what day and such.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I'm more than happy to help. Set a skin and ski date and I'm in, provided it's from the Montazuma side. I could loan a bunch of avalanche gear to those that need it. I've got access to 10 beacons, shovels, probes. I'll give a little intro lesson to anyone interested. I've got love to share. I just put personal safety first.
Ya should've just invited everyone to the class the other week

http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php

I'd be interested in a trip up there on skis depending on the weather, and the weather of the next two days.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
I know we have one Pilot in the club. It seems like we really do not know which route is the least time consuming. What about the possiability of haveing a fly over in a small plane to check out some of the routes. (we use to do this when we were planing a route for some of the expeditions in Alaska).
Anyhow a thought, May need to pay for fuel and maybe a plane rental.

I might be in depending on what day and such.
I don't have access to a plane myself (although I'm sure one could be arranged, likely not cheap though), but I'd happily volunteer my services to go do that. Highly weather dependent in that area in order to get low enough to see much. If I had my good camera up here instead of in NM I'd pack it with me and just might see if I could get any good pictures as we flew over, although it's a lot harder with 100 witnesses in the back who would certainly notice if the plane did any circling and stuff.

Dan
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
I don't have access to a plane myself (although I'm sure one could be arranged, likely not cheap though), but I'd happily volunteer my services to go do that. Highly weather dependent in that area in order to get low enough to see much. If I had my good camera up here instead of in NM I'd pack it with me and just might see if I could get any good pictures as we flew over, although it's a lot harder with 100 witnesses in the back who would certainly notice if the plane did any circling and stuff.

Dan
I fly regularly out of Centennial, but flying low over the Rockies is fairly dangerous business in a piston-engine aircraft. Oxygen and a turbocharger are a must for this sort of thing.
'00 UZJ100
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

With confirmation from the driver, I 'm pretty sure we know where it's located. See map.

Based on the beginning of video he posted from the 80 site it looks like a straight shot down to the valley above Montezuma. Which would be about 4.1 miles from the 80 to the town of Montezuma. I would assume we could only drive to the edge of town where the plows stop. Then ski from there.
Attached Images