Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Anyone have a gas-powered leaf blower? That may help with some of the snow inside.

I'd be willing to help ... it'd give me a chance to try out the new-to-me rig...
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Rock Stacker

Thank you all for the support and will send word when the time comes.

In the meantime I agree that getting the snow out before it starts to melt is critical. I'm trying to put together a crew to go up in the next few weeks to clean out the white and do whatever possible to avoid more piling in. Not sure how far up I could get on a snowmobile but I'm trying to get a hold of one so I can participate.

The weather this week is unbeatable so maybe the time is now.

Here's a picture to clear some questions about location (39°31'54.86"N, 105°49'35.34"W). The picture is taken before the last and longest decent that ends right on top of Webster.

Any and all input is accepted and appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Anyone have a gas-powered leaf blower? That may help with some of the snow inside.

I'd be willing to help ... it'd give me a chance to try out the new-to-me rig...
Doubt that will work. I have a couple Husky's that will make hurricane force wind but drifted snow is very happy laying around with it's buddies! Good old fashioned "Manuel" labor will be the order of the day!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for sharing the story and like Matt says we are all glad you are safe!!

x2 on trying to get back up there before the snow starts melting to mitigate the damage and maybe even put a tarp around it, lashed down very tightly. Need to enlist some of those hikers folks

EDIT: - just realized that there was a second page

EDIT 2: I've got 100' of 7/16" unused steel cable to add to the list of recovery gear to reach the 80 (although it only has a loop at one end . Someone (you engineer types ) start drawing up what the rigging we'll need to look like to pull it back up the hill...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Trail Ready

Definitely an unfortunate series of events. It's great to hear that everyone is OK and interesting to hear how the pictures on forums led the police to your home. Although sooner would've been better, you are still super lucky to have such a supportive four wheeling community in Colorado.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Rising Sun member

I'm still having trouble visualizing that as being Webster Pass. And the GPS coordinates come up looking more like that's closer to the top of Red Cone. But you said you went down the steep descent to Webster Pass from the top of Red Cone?

Either way, I have a couple extra lengths of winch cable that could be strung together if need be to get some extra distance.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I thought that's where it might be.. that pic gives a clear understanding
TLCA#4180
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, this picture is taken from Webster Pass looking back up towards Red Cone. So it looks like you didn't make it all the way down the steep part? That you're stuck behind the saddle behind my FJ40?

Or in this picture, looking from the top of Red Cone down to Webster Pass, the 80 is just beyond the right side of this picture?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I agree, the truck is not on Webster. Here is a pic of the last descent of Redcone and it matches your description. There is one last descent that is steeper than Redcone before you get to the saddle. You are actually on a spur that points to Montezuma but isn't a signed route.

Name:  photo1.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  121.5 KB

Name:  photo2.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  126.6 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 02-14-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm in if I'm around.

If you go to clear the snow out, I might suggest bringing a bottle of CO2 to blow it out a bit too, especially around the ECU and stuff.

Glad to hear you are allright. That's some scary stuff there. I once got myself stuck all by myself without anyone knowing where I was, and where I didn't really know where I was, DAYS of walking from cell service. That night persuaded me to A) buy a HAM, B) buy a winch, and C) be much more careful when it's just my vehicle.

Dan