Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
okay, This Picture Is Taken From Webster Pass Looking Back Up Towards Red Cone. So It Looks Like You Didn't Make It All The Way Down The Steep Part? That You're Stuck Behind The Saddle Behind My Fj40?

Or In This Picture, Looking From The Top Of Red Cone Down To Webster Pass, The 80 Is Just Beyond The Right Side Of This Picture?

Correct on both assuptions. Before the last steep decent, on the saddle. And to the right of the second pic.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I agree, the truck is not on Webster. Here is a pic of the last descent of Redcone and it matches your description. There is one last descent that is steeper than Redcone before you get to the saddle. You are actually on a spur that points to Montezuma but isn't a signed route.

Attachment 22719

Attachment 22720

Exactly right.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy B View Post
Hey, I found your Cruiser on Saturday and wanted to see if anyone knew the story. Sorry about the surprise police visit.

You can absolutely reach it safely from the north right now. There's just not enough snow up there to slide, the winds going over the pass have turned what's there to bulletproof crust, and I'm not convinced it's steep enough to begin with. I hiked down the gully it's in (the one NE of PT 12399 at Webster Pass).

Snowmobiles could probably get you to it but again it's thin above 12000'. Best bet would be to shoot up the gully.

Oh. It may be a bit windy though. This is in the gully a couple hundred feet below the Cruiser:
On the contrary, thanks to this unpleasant set of pics the necessary steps will be taken to try and save her. As for the police, I wasn't welcoming to their inquiry and it only adds to the story so no problem.

Question: could you tell if the passenger window was broken at all? Seems like the snow came in through the front since I don't see any in the trunk?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Sorry, I will wait till end spring/summer. It isn't worth loosing somebody over or another vehicle. Now if a group wants to go up just to secure the 80 that would be cool, I would not make it up there
I'm pretty sure that at this point in time the only discussion is around trying to get up there to mitigate the damage, not recover the vehicle.

Now that the owner is on board and knows that we have folks that are willing to try and help out, we can let him provide details about the plan as it is put together. IMO what we he'll need more right now more than anything else is a group of experienced hikers. It is apparent that reaching the 80 is certainly feasible given that someone did just that last weekend.

Maybe some of the experienced hikers over on 14ers that have been watching this story unfold might also be interested in helping out.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

If you guys need more winch cable i have 150 feet of it on my garage floor. it came of of a 8274 i am rebuilding.
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

There's been some avy activity in Summit Cty & 10 Mile Range last couple of weeks. Watch the S aspects primarily and to less extent the SW & SE aspects and be super careful after noon. Lots of hoar and wind deposited, they've been running ~24" deep with layers of crust on top of crud and sugar and not much within in the pack to hold between layers (called deformation concentration). A few have been to the rocks up very high, most have been slab slides.

The warm temps are putting stress on the snow pack, not warm enough to consolidate down but enough to make nasty slab top layers. CAIC has most of the area as orange, which is 'considerable'. The slide up on Loveland over the weekend was triggered from below, while the ones at Beaver Creek and Vail Pass were triggered higher up the slab. Be careful guys.

I might ski up there if you guys attempt to drive it. I have a different route in mind I think, tho.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

I wasn't suggesting driving at all this time of year. Several of us are willing and capable of hiking/skiing up there though. My thought was just to try and see if the snow damage is already too much and if we can seal it off.

I would still be concerned about people vandalizing it as spring gets closer too.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock Stacker

Agreed. The recovery mission is 3+ months away.

The question is whatís the best way to mitigate the damage. I was also thinking of a securing a tarp though Sleeoffroad makes a good point about it causing more damage than protection if it gets loose.

NOAAís forcast has 20-30 mph wind in Montezuma so tomorrow doesnít look so promising and then a storm comes in. Bearing in mind that the sooner the better, I donít think we need to rush getting up there, instead wait for a window of good weather in the next few weeks. Itís so cold nothing is melting.

As for avalanche danger: an experienced back country/avalanche friend, did me the favor of hiking up there in December and confirmed that there is no real danger. Itís just not steep enough and since it blows so hard there is little snow accumulation (Boogy B post confirms this).

Iíll continue to monitor the weather forecast and try to coordinate a day that works for a crew to get up there. In the meantime comments on the best way to mitigate additional amounts of snow into the cabin are appreciated. Sounds like multiple layers of collision repair plastic might be the option. The white plastic thatís used to transport new vehicles might also be an option? Iím unfamiliar with both but will investigate.

Iíve always been worried about people vandalizing/target practice. Not sure thereís anything to do about that but get it down asap.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcor View Post
Iíve always been worried about people vandalizing/target practice. Not sure thereís anything to do about that but get it down asap.
Maybe taking up a few printed signs in those plastic page protectors that just say something like "No ones trapped in here, forest service notified, vehicle will be recovered as soon as weather permits" ?? Not that vandals would be swayed by this...just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

I might ski up there if you guys attempt to drive it. I have a different route in mind I think, tho.
I'll be out of town during this upcoming storm (Telluride :-D ) but I'd be up for a ski trip up there. Not familiar with the area but could also take snowshoes or boots if its rocky near the top. Looks like at least until mid next week we might have some weather though...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Pallet shrink wrap, lots of it
82 FJ40