Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Club Treasurer

I saw that post by Bobby Long on mud, too. It's a little confusing because the Longfield website still requires that you click on the disclaimer box saying, "*I understand these are for off-road use only" before you can order. I figured I'd call them on Monday and see what the story is. I did leave them a message today.

Went down to the Yota Yard to look at one they said they had, but it was a 92-94 version without the ABS ring and it wasn't in good shape. Then I went to Yoda Jim's to look at his. He had one that was rusted and wouldn't move, one that was pretty worn (I could see a couple of chips in the cage and could feel the wear grooves when I spun it), and 2 still in a truck that had 330k on it.

I also tried Oleg, no 95-97s. Left a message for Merl at Classic Cruisers in Salida.

Jacket mentioned Blakes. Never heard of that one and couldn't find it by google. I would be happy with a good used OEM, considering how long they last. Even if it had 100 or 150k on it, it seems like it would likely outlast a Chromoly one. Any other ideas on where I might source one (or two)?

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

If you not in a hurry, take some of Christo's less expensive ones and have them cryo'ed at Mountain High performance. I am considering doing that for my next set as a experiment. I also find the stock ones to be very costly. But as UB said, they last a very long time, are good for up to 35" tires (I have been wheeling my 36 Swampers on them for years).
One other thought is to take your old ones down to CVJ in denver and have them redone. I do not have their phone number,but you should be able to google it. One day turn around. They say the inners and cage is OEM quality, but will not say where the parts are made.
I think the last time I called, it was 150 to have them rebuilt.
Other options for you.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dan, I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I have a set with the ABS ring. I have no idea what kind of shape they are in, and was originally just going to keep them as a spare set. I just pulled them yesterday while getting my axle cleaned up. I am going to be running aftermarket knuckles and won't need the ABS ring axles.

PM me with what you think is a reasonable number if you are interested.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

how do they rebuild CV joints? Grind them and put in bigger balls?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

The conversation I had was they weld then grind, then put new stars and cages in. They say it is just as strong. Interesting they make stuff for race buggys and all sort of applications. They repair cv for many many applications. They were used by Christo for certain jobs in the early day. I do not remember any having failed. But the use was normally for a stock set up.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm in the same boat - with a bone stock '95, 180K. I have a dirt driveway and when you accelerate with turned wheels, they clatter fairly loudly. They are quiet on pavement turns. I ran into exactly what you saw - inexpensive/unknown eBay/China stuff or OEM $$$. I swapped the outers left for right, and it made no difference in the clattering. Mine don't show serious wear (visually), but have some rotational play in the joint. So, I greased them heavily, put them back in, and have decided not to worry about it. Wish I could offer more useful info, but in this case, just sympathy. My brother's '94 has 220K and his are quiet.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

September 2004 I put in two new ones from Christo. I'm going to guess that was about 40,000 miles back.

They still work fine with only a minor click when making the first left turn a block form home on a cold morning. I never hear clicking any other times. They have been repacked twice.

FWIW, they were also $350 each then.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Lifted

buy longs when they start to click send um in and have them rebuilt i believe he rebuilds his for free minus shipping....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Lifted

nitro also make s birf i think they are chromoly too though
Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bobby will only rebuild for free if they break. Making noise or clicking is not brakeage. I had a couple of conversations with him about 2 years ago. Just beware of the warranty, he makes sure if you use it in a Daily Driver, you are aware that they will wear out, but not break.