Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Default HF installed. 20M antenna for now

Hi,
Finally installed the HF into the LX450
Nothing is bolted down yet as I am experimenting with operations.
The rear get dual 20A feed into the TS-480HX

You can see the 2M FTM-350R fit into the pocket. But the TS480HX is too big. Currently I plan to mount it on the wheel well and attach it to the third seat bracket.
Attached Images

http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM

The optional extension cable accessory is utilized to bring every thing into the cabin.
The head unit fit very conveniently in front of the two shifters.
Attached Images

KD2KDK
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 AM

The antenna utilizes military spring and is mounted to the jerry can rack. Originally I wanted it to the side, but the rear had a brace between the two hoops and we mounte the bracket to that bracket.

The antenna is hamstick 20M. It tunes to 14.150 @ 1.0 SWR and at 14.350 it is 1.5 SWR. I think this are very good numbers
Attached Images

KD2KDK

Last edited by rhyary; 02-22-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 AM

QSO:
First day I made contact with a guy in Alabama. very thrilling.
The next day I made contact with Florida and a mid-western state. I forget the exact one. This morning on the way to work I made contact with Florida again.

Not bad for a mobile rig. My observation is that i can have a good QSO with rigs that have a very good antennas no matter were they are. So this is not mobile to mobile QSO. For example yesterday evening I made contact in Florida with a setup that had 60 feet antenna and some massive setup. But he came loud a clear and no problem understanding it.
KD2KDK
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Operation:
Much to learn here. I read the manual 50 times, went back to the General study book.

I am not clear how much the RF gain should be, what the speech processor should be, I played with the filters (NAR 1.8 for SSB), and DNR, etc etc, but because I am not on the other side, I don't know what effect it all has on the receiving end.

I have to figure out the scan. I programmed it to scan only the 20M (14.150 - 14.350) so that works great. but the scan does not stop. It flies by the conversations. I can hear a conversation comes into focus, and then it scan right by it. I have to stop it manual and go back. Which defeat the purpose of the scan.

It is daunting how much more complicated HF is compare to VHF/UHF.

I like it!
KD2KDK

Last edited by rhyary; 02-22-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Operation:
Much to learn here. I read the manual 50 times, went back to the General study book.

I am not clear how much the RF gain should be, what the speech processor should be, I played with the filters (NAR 1.8 for SSB), and DNR, etc etc, but because I am not on the other side, I don't know what effect it all has on the receiving end.

I have to figure out the scan. I programmed it to scan only the 20M (14.150 - 14.350) so that works great. but the scan does not stop. It flies by the conversations. I can here a conversation comes into focus, and then it scan right by it. I have to stop it manual and go back. Which defeat the purpose of the scan.

It is daunting how much more complicated HF is compare to VHF/UHF.

I like it!
Nifty Guides are much more concise than the owners manual.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM

The manual is not the problem. :-)
It is understanding what it means that I need help with.
Meaning: I know how to adjust the RF-Gain. But what does it mean?

Example:
The radio came with the RF-GAIN setup to the maximum (100).
The atmospheric noise was so loud, I almost went deft.
I adjusted it down to 80. Atmospheric is now better, but is that the best way to take that noise down?

Also, the squelch, unless almost at full does little to atmospheric noise. Unlike VHF/UHF it seems to not be as effective. It kills the stations AND the atmospheric.

So the above is ONE example. I have questions like that on almost any adjustments I can make, and there are so many, regardless what manual I am using.

It is not clear to me where exactly one learns about it, Unless one is allowed to bug DaveInDenver to death. :-)

Rami
KD2KDK
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

RF Gain is like your squelch on VHF. As you adjust it down, it squelches out (or quiets out) all but the strongest signals that can get past the S-meter setting which is directly related to your RF Gain setting. On my Yaesu FT-857D, as I adust the RF Gain up, the S-meter needle goes up from 0 incrementally. If I set the RF Gain to where the S-meter is at S6, then only signals that my radio receives that are greater than S6 will be sent to the audio. Otherwise, they are muted. IMVHO, it is a great way to eliminate some of the "noise" associated with operating mobile.

I always get nose level with my vehicle's motor off. Once it is going, my usual S meter noise goes up to around S3. As I pass certain areas in my neighborhood or town, I get varying levels of noise, driving by lots of high power lines, places with a lot of Wi-Fi, etc. So I almost always keep my RF Gain at a level where only signals greater than S3 in strength will be heard. I had done a lot of work to my 80 to abate noise, and only on really bad propagation days do I need to open up the RF Gain more to even hear stations.

Keep the questions coming!

'73
Nathaniel
WIIN
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Many thanks for the quick replies.

I have the Extra license since November, hence 150 - 350.
My goal is to set the radio the best I can to specific scenario. It will be too complicated to ask questions on all the possibilities. I have a TS-480 with most of any adjustments in the book. Lets focus the helping on the following:

** I am using SSB USB on the 20M (140.150-350) with hamstick antenna and good SWR. I want to make the best out of this settings **

OK, squelch off, and use the RF-Gain.
At full gain my S meter currently where I park is reading S5 with just the noise. It does not move when I start the car.
I have Noise Blanker to deal with pulsing and the manual says to put it on when in mobile installation. I does take our the pulsing from the engine. There is no alternator whine.

I have noticed that as I take the gain down, at some point the S meter start going up.
The conversation I had were around S9. So should I gain it down until the S meter is on S9

Yes?
KD2KDK

Last edited by rhyary; 02-22-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM

>> The S-meter should go down as you turn the gain down, so all I can think is that it's a feature of the radio trying to tell you what level signal would be required to hear a station. This would be the case if the noise floor goes down (it gets quieter) but the S-meter goes up.
/ENDQUOTE

After this discussion I will look up the explanation in the manual. I am better equip to understand it now.
KD2KDK