Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Lifted

Default FJ60 rear vent fans

So today at lunch I removed the plastic molding that covers the rear vents and I had an idea. I thought it would be nice to have some fans to bring in fresh air when I'm sleeping in back.

My idea would be to mount two 120mm computer cooling fans over each vent. The fans would be attached to a bracket that would mount to the trim piece above the vents where the headliner meets the plastic trim. I'd wire in a switch mounted to my rear cargo panels. The fans move about 78CFM.

I'd probably have one pulling in fresh air while the other would circulate out. Anyone ever done or seen a similar set up?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

You may find them loud, and I have used 24v fans running at 12v (for fireplace blower fans) and that makes them much more tolerable. At a certain RPM, however, they essentially won't move any air - so you cannot run them *too* slowly.

I think it's a cool idea - consider using resistors or running two, 24v fans in series to control speed/noise. I'd run them both as exhaust fans and figure the vehicle leaks enough air elsewhere to supply them - or crack a front window.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

I believe the stock vent flaps in back are designed to only open when the pressure outside is low enough to move air out of the vehicle. This keeps exhaust out when the truck isn't moving. If you defeat the existing flaps, you might want to have a path to reinstall them should you discover a problem. Personally, I think the fans are a bit much. I'd go with opening the door windows an inch or two and put the creative juices toward an onboard water tank.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln