Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Series Roof Rack Wiring Routing Thread

How have you routed wires for lights and antennas to your 80 series roof rack?

Have you used any couplers to be able to quickly disconnect the wires and tuck them away when you remove your rack?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Okey dokey. Looks like I get to be a pioneer here. Should have my rack next Friday.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I used one of these with the pass through base:

DEUTSCH TERMINAL
Name:  DEUTSCH.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  11.2 KB

I'll dig up a pic......
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 02-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here are some pics. I decided to hide it behind one of the supports. It might look funny without the roofrack but it works well with it. I ran 10gauge up the A pillar for the light bar and 12gauge to the roof top tent lighting.

Name:  DSCF0024.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  32.8 KB

You can see it on the passenger side between the sun roof and the roof rack.
Name:  DSCF1905.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  125.3 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thx. I'll take a look at the terminals. I am hoping to do a no-drill the roof routing option. I have heard of people using the snorkel and I was also going to look at the rear pillar vent.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

You can run it up the A pillar inside the drip rail. I had it there first and it worked for what it was. I moved it because the doors started cutting into the wires.
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Daniel you're getting a new rack, right? So you're ditching the factory rack? If so you'll have several holes to work with.. the easiest is probably above the driver door- can you pull the headliner down far enough to poke a wire through the factory rack's nutzert? Then silicone it up real good to stop future leaks..

But since you have a snorkel I'd keep thinking of using that as a guide, that's what this guy did http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...of-lights.html

Mike I like that plug option... I think I need RTT lights..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Daniel you're getting a new rack, right? So you're ditching the factory rack? If so you'll have several holes to work with.. the easiest is probably above the driver door- can you pull the headliner down far enough to poke a wire through the factory rack's nutzert? Then silicone it up real good to stop future leaks.
Yes, I expect to be making the reveal next weekend. At the moment the factory rack will still be there but I do plan to eventually remove it. I certainly will not need it and I want to address the rust. I have thought about those factory rack holes. If I used one I'd most likely want to pull the whole headliner and fix up all the holes right before closing it back up. At that point I'd probably mount a plug like Mike has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
But since you have a snorkel I'd keep thinking of using that as a guide, that's what this guy did http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...of-lights.html
Brand new thread too. Nice find. I was even thinking inside the snorkel with a plug-in connector mounted to the scoop.

I also will be running my CB and HAM antenna's up there so I need to run those cables. Can you put an inline coupler on antenna coax?

I was planning on 16ga wire for the lights. The come with 18ga. I suppose the common ground should be heavier to ground the entire rack suitably for an antenna as well. Maybe a strap run to a rear hatch hinge bolt.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by inukshuk View Post
i Also Will Be Running My Cb And Ham Antenna's Up There So I Need To Run Those Cables. Can You Put An Inline Coupler On Antenna Coax?
They make antenna connectors for sheet metal. This is hands down the best way to run a mobile antenna, on an NMO mount.

Attachment 22779

But you probably are mounting the whips on the rack itself. I would use a SO-239 bulkhead in the roof and use a short patch cable if you already have mounts. These are about $2 a piece and I just put in an order for a few, so if you wanted some.

Attachment 22780

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Commander

When I removed my factory rack like 8 years ago I used screws and rubber washers for the holes and called it a day. No problems to report.. but yes the better way is pull the headliner and weld it all shut, then repaint.. and in that case forget about the snorkel run, take all your wiring up an A or B pillar, you'll already have them all exposed. I guess it's a matter of a half-day job or a multi-weekend job.

Do you need to get into garages ever? While up on the rooftop is clearly the best antenna performance, it comes with the added pain of futzing with antennas all the time if you need low clearance.. but you know this, that's just my personal hangup I'll go back to work now.

www.gamiviti.com