Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

I swapped mine left for right in my '95 and it made no difference in the clicking.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Schlegs View Post
What is the word on those rebuilt birfs? I'm finding myself needing to fix my clicking front end. I have been looking at all the avenues that you have explored and not overly impressed by the options. Toyota too spendy, Ebay seems like a waste of time and money. Longfields will not work on the fulltime 4wheel drive. CV unlimited seems possible, but why are they so cheap? Used worth while is few and far between.

I have a headache from searching the web.
I was in the same boat as you Kevin. Lots of choices but none of them too appealing. As far as I know I am the first in the club to try these rebuilt birfs. I only have 100 miles of street use so far, but they are doing fine. After I get a couple more maintenance issues addressed I will be doing a shakedown run locally, probably Slaughterhouse or something. Then I will be bringing my 80 to CM2011 so that will be their first real test.

If you can wait a couple of months I should have some decent real time data to help in your evaluation.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
90 Honda XR600R
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

I ordered some birfs from JToutfitters. They are from CV Unlimited and called "Newfields". CV Unlimited seems to have a good reputation and many people speak of them in high regard on the various forums. I'll save the OEM birfs and have them rebuilt at some point just to have a back-up set.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Aren't Newfields frozen similar to Longfields?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

My understanding is that Newfields are "reconditioned" by CV Unlimited. Longfields are made of Moly and stretch over time and wear out faster as a result. Longfields are suggested for vehicles with manual hubs, and none daily drivers.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

You buy a Land Cruiser for reliability, yet you do not want to spend the money to replace a joint that lasts 200k miles easily. That is 0.006c per mile of use. I don't get it.

Newfields are sold by CV Unlimited. The stock replacements ones are considered for light duty use in stock trucks. Not sure of the origin, but somewhere out east. Chromoly ones are not for daily driving. Does not matter if they come from CV unlimited (who has them), Carl (JT Diffs) or Bobby Long. Any of those will not last in a DD application.

For DD application and oversize tires plus wheeling, factory Toyota is really the only option.

Think about why you own a land Cruiser before you throw parts at it that is not suited for your application. We sell all three kinds, but with proper edumecation so the customer knows what he should use.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
... We sell all three kinds, but with proper edumecation so the customer knows what he should use.
How much are the stock replacements you sell, Christo? I see they have appeared on your website but there is no price on them.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
90 Honda XR600R
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ok, so seeing as how JToutfitters has yet to ship the Newfields I canceled the order. I had one birf as a trail spare and I picked up another one this morning from Jims Got Parts, ran the two Birfs over to CVJ Axles, Inc. to get them rebuilt. One was in really good condition the other had some clicking. The woman that helped me know what I had just by looking at the shape of the garbage bags they were wrapped in. I take that as a good sign. Great find Dan. Hopefully I can get this thing locked, geared and rebuilt in time for CM11.

TLCA#5366
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Time for an update. I am coming up on 5k miles on the rebuilt birfs and so far they have performed flawlessly. No breaks, no clicks. I drove to Cruise Moab 2011 on them and wheeled Elephant Hill and Wipeout Hill. Locally I have done China Wall, BOWAGW (Slaughterhouse), Argentine Pass cleanup run and Red Cone twice. Nothing hardcore, but I have used my front elocker several times to get out of compromising positions. I haven't been babying them, just driving as usual. So far they appear to have adequate strength for my style of wheeling. The next question is how long they will last before they start clicking. I don't expect 250k like the stock birfields. I will be ecstatic though if I get half that, considering the cost. As of now I have to say on these birfs.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
90 Honda XR600R
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the field report (as it were). I had been wondering what your thoughts were after some miles had been put on the joints.