Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Even Truxs MT's need to be around 14 or lower to get sticky! 10-12 in the snow.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Figured I'd report back now that I've probably got 10,000 miles on the tires.

I've really liked them. Noise still is not bad but has gotten louder as they have worn. We run them to Myrtle Beach, SC and back in June. Hit some serious rain near Asheville, NC. They handled it great at 70 MPH including standing water. Also had a major hail storm in eastern CO that also gave the Generals no issue. However they suck in snow, a late May stormed proved it.

Wear is hard to judge as the first 3000 miles was very hard on them. CM-prerun, Farmington NM, Arch Canyon, and CM11. All took their toll on them. Since then wear has hardly been noticeable. No chunking, just rounding off the sharp block edges as expected. I've settled on 13psi for trail service.

Mud, have not seen any but I would guess they would be average at best. I consider these an aggressive AT tire which is perfect for my DD truck.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Final thoughts.

So yesterday I retired the Generals. I don't know my total mileage as I did not log it every season when I swapped tires but I'd guess around 35,000 miles. They had a little life yet but I don't like running things down to nothing.

Overall I really liked these tires and it was hard not to buy them again. After many trips of hard wheeling I only had a hand full of small chunks. Despite not rotating them as often as I should they wore pretty evenly. And were pretty quiet on the HWY down to the end. I did not experience any punctures or sidewall cuts during the life of them. I generally had to rebalance a couple every spring when they got swapped over but my local tire shop always did that for free.

Complaints: Snow performance was dismal. I only got caught in one spring storm with them but it was bad. Tread life.

My replacements are Toyo Open Country MT's. Basically the only reason I went this way was tread life. The Toyo's start with 21/32" of rubber where the General's start at 18/22". Treeroot reported an impressive lifespan out of his Toyo's plus they are basically the most popular tire down this way on the Oil/Gas field trucks. Only time will tell if I like them better.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
My replacements are Toyo Open Country MT's. Basically the only reason I went this way was tread life. The Toyo's start with 21/32" of rubber where the General's start at 18/22". Treeroot reported an impressive lifespan out of his Toyo's plus they are basically the most popular tire down this way on the Oil/Gas field trucks. Only time will tell if I like them better.
curious to hear how you'll like those. when i originally built my fj, it was a toss up for me between those and the nitto trail grapplers. i may go toyos on the next truck.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was also looking at the Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Oil/Gas guys like those too but the Toyo a little better.

My initial impression of the Toyo is good but I think I liked the Generals better. The Toyo's are about a loud new as the Generals were in the end. Kind of hard to tell as the frequency of sound is different. The Toyo's definitely seem to wander on the road a little. They are also a little squirrelly in the corners compared to the Generals too. But that is to be expected as there is more void in the shoulders with taller lugs.

It will probably be Father's Day before I wheel the truck again so offroad performance will have to wait. I expect them to be strong there.

I'm not unhappy with the Toyo's really in any way. Just my observations so far. If I adhere to a strict rotation schedule and get 50K of even tread-wear I'm sure I'll love the tire.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

I put a set of the Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 100 last summer, did some runs then off to 100s in the hills and they are great!
I run 50 psi on pavement. When I first aired them down they looked too squished IMO but I just let less air out after that.
They were unbelievable on snow! And the on line chart only shows so so for snow and I don't know why! They were great! I tried to make the truck slide around but it was hard to do it!

TLCA #22380

'74 40 series (home brewed center and dash boxes)

'06 100 series (Gamiviti half rack {thanks Tim}, home brewed roof basket, rear drawers on the works)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
If I adhere to a strict rotation schedule and get 50K of even tread-wear I'm sure I'll love the tire.
When I sold the FJ, the Nittos had about 52k on them and at least another 10k in them. 5 wheel rotation every 5k. I was pretty impressed.

Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the Toyos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Outside
They were unbelievable on snow!
I had the same experience.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
OK, I could not wait anymore. I put them on this morning. Drove around today. Very happy so far. Don't really make much more noise than my studded Duratracs just a different frequency of noise.

Pics for your enjoyment.
Love it! This is what my truck wants to be when it grows up.

imhighlander
1993 FZJ80
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm going to shoot for a 3K rotation schedule. All 5 tires of course.

I will not really form a snow opinion as they will get pulled come November 1 for the studded Duratracs
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Pretty much sums up my experiences so far.

I'm 3000 miles into them now after just 30 days. Yah I drive a lot. I've had one replace due to a "Radial Pull" defect. I've rotated them 3 times already. Honestly only one combo had me driving straight. The tire that has been on the truck the longest is already down 3/32" in tread.

So all and all I'm really not happy with these tires. Road noise is fine and traction is great. But unless they get harder as they wear I'm looking at only 20K in life and that could be only 6 months for me. At this point I can't ever see buying them again nor recommending them to anyone.

My last set the Red Label Generals drove straight as an arrow and I got around 35K out of them despite having 4/32" less rubber to begin with.
2004 Starcraft 10RT