Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
My main day pack is a 10 year old Mountainsmith Bugaboo. Works well for me. Has a slot for a bladder, panel loading, etc. It's a ski pack, but works fine for lots of stuff (except cycling, not great for bikepacking). It has a full plastic sheet forming panel and the mesh for air circulation. Yeah, the mesh is better than a plastic bag but not as good as real vent IMHO. Also made in Golden, Colorado, USA, if that's important to you. I dunno if they are still made here, though.

Dave, you're scaring me. That's the exact same backpack I have (I can't see your pic, but I bought mine in 1999, which makes it about the same vintage as yours. I think a lot of Mountainsmith stuff is made in China these days, back in college my roommate worked there Not too impressed with their stuff any more

Osprey on the other hand, big fan of Osprey packs and own two models (Crescent and Exposure for backpacking and climbing). Colorado company (down in the 4 corners area), has just what you're looking for Drew. Mesh back panels (I have another buddy with the Talon that says it's great), depending on the size it's either top load or panel load. It will probably be my next day pack. My Bugaboo suspension fit me when I was 14, it's a little too small now (though it still is my go-to for almost everything).
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Still a big lowe fan...

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Might be a little more than you want to spend but we have and really like the Mystery Ranch Sweet Pea.
yeap.. Dana Gleason packs in true form... the shizzle
TLCA#4180
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

One that fits you good. Lots of good quality packs out there. Personally I generally favor Black Diamond, Arc'teryx, and Osprey.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Trail Ready

Another Vote for Osprey and they teamed with nalgene for their hydration bladders....pretty neat little units
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM

I have a Deuter and love it! The built in rain fly is handy and stows away very nicely. Plendy to storage. Most importantly, it just feels good. No fatigue on long hikes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I would like a new pack for day hikes/14er's and maybe minimalist summer overnights. I currently use a north face top loader that is about 35 liters. It is made for skiing or boarding, but I don't backcountry ski.

I am wanting:
  • Bladder spot
    Panel loading, not top loading
    30ish liters
    Good suspension for a long torso and big belly
Are those mesh back panels work? I can sweat up a storm in just a few minutes when going up any incline.

I also found a military bag that I really love the features on it, but it is camo and with molle webbing ALL over it, so it looks a little too commando.

I am looking at some of the Dueter, Vaude, and Arcteryx packs (used on the arc bags due to $$$).
TLCA#19430

1996 FZJ80 Locked & Lifted, ARB Front, Slee Dual Swing Arm Rear, BFG ATs on FJC Wheels, Speski Barrier
2005 Subaru Outback XT
1997 FZJ80 Collector Edition
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks everyone here is the leader for now... its designed by Arc'teryx and made by Proper here in the USA. If I could get it without the molle webbing and or in anything other than camo, I'd have already bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARPAT-Pack-...item3f080aaee8

I love the Kifaru, but I think a Eberlestock might get my $$$ before a Kifaru... but that will be a dedicated hunting rig.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Trail Ready

The comparable Mystery Ranch Pack to that would probably be the 3-Day Assault Pack. Obviously a bit more expensive. This is the pack I personally use on the trails. My wife uses the Sweet Pea.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

I love the Kifaru, but I think a Eberlestock might get my $$$ before a Kifaru... but that will be a dedicated hunting rig.

The Eberlestock look pretty nice too. One of the reasons I chose the Kifaru was how versatile it was. They're really modular, so I could buy one pack and use it for everything rather than having separate, dedicated packs for dayhikes, work, multiday, hunting, etc.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The Eberlestock look pretty nice too. One of the reasons I chose the Kifaru was how versatile it was. They're really modular, so I could buy one pack and use it for everything rather than having separate, dedicated packs for dayhikes, work, multiday, hunting, etc.
Thats a good point Martin- the molle stuff might be an advantage with all the pouches and do-dads you could add to make it activity specific.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili