Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Toyota Factory Service Manuals

I called the Toyota materials distribution and service publication center (where you used to be able to order FSM's) and they told me they are no longer selling pre-1995 manuals. You now have to go through Helm inc.:

Helm manuals website

Has anyone ordered from them, and are these the same Toyota FSM's we used to be able to get, or are they third party?

I also noted that there was no Pre-81 Landcruiser manual available there either.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

I bought my Hilux manuals from/through Burt years ago, but my understanding is that Helm has always printed the FSM pretty much regardless where you physically bought them. AFAIK Helm prints OEM FSM for Toyota, Honda, GM, etc. The books I got for our VW were printed by a place called Bentley Publications.

Toyota probably just stopped keeping manuals for old junk on hand for immediate delivery. Toyota's position in all of this is to keep their dealer service network supplied with stocked stuff they'd need quickly and at some point the demand from dealers goes to essentially zero. I suspect that by now all the service depts have all the paper copies for pre-1995 trucks they'll ever buy.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I first tried asking at the dealer, but they referred me to the Toyota material distribution center, who then referred me to Helm, who I discovered doesn't have the early stuff. Not sure where to go from here.

Luckily I already have all the FSM's for my cruisers.

If anyone has an FSM that covers a 1980 Hilux and 20R, and you want to sell it, let me know.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

The online versions for Toy manuals are pretty sweet. Dunno if they go back to 1980. Basically pay for one day, then click and download like mad.

You can try Fleabay. I got Justin a 1988 truck electrical manual that way, which he DESPERATELY needed. Took a bit but eventually a manual reseller found one.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun member

There has been some discussion on this on MUD, not sure where it's beginning to fall. Different people have gotten different stories at different periods of time.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default YOYOTA fsm

Hey Martin, I just found your fsm. Faxon auto literature,1 800 458 2734, Travis at ext.115 has an original "orange" used but servicable printing. He is asking the same price as my copy was from faxon 10 years ago. This is not a photo-copy.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L43dean View Post
Hey Martin, I just found your fsm. Faxon auto literature,1 800 458 2734, Travis at ext.115 has an original "orange" used but servicable printing. He is asking the same price as my copy was from faxon 10 years ago. This is not a photo-copy.
Excellent! Thanks Dean.

I just talked to Travis and it's on the way.

'85 FJ60