Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default 100 Series or 3rd gen 4Runner ???

I'm pretty sure I'll know the sentiment in here... But I need selling on this

I currently own both.

100 Series(99) completely stock w/locking rear

99 4Runner. 2"body, 3" suspension lift, e-locker rear, Aussie front, sliders
35" tires

The 4runner with a Marlin and a SAS would take me about anywhere

Problem is, it's has a 2.7 3rd, so it has limited power( no towing over passes for sure)

Selling the 100 was our initial idea, but if it could be brought up to the crawlin level of the 4runner with a reasonable amount of money would that be a better choice.

Having owned 4Runners longer that is my preference. Sell me on the conversion of 100 from stock to crawler.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you got the money and the time go for it.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Time yes, money no. The question really is, in the long run the 100 would be more versatile, crawling, towing(camper) and better handling in winter driving. But lime you said to armor it, and lift it would be 3-4 k probably more than 1/2 of what I could get for 4Runner whereas , all the proceeds from 100 could go to debt reduction.

Flip a coin
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

What you are talking about is an 80 if you want the bigger truck - sell them both and get one.

Absent that, you aren't turning a 100 into a go anywhere crawler without a SAS, and that is $10K unless you can do the work yourself.

You don't need a crawler for towing over passes - build the Runner to keep size and weight down.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Why continue to spend money on a truck that will never meet your needs?

But you'll never build the 100 to the crawler a smaller 4Runner is without dropping lots of $$$.

Dave (Nay) is right that an 80 is somewhere in the middle. But with knowing your budget its hard sell you on either direction. And its not like building the 80 is cheap but it does at least have the solid axle already installed.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournID View Post
Having owned 4Runners longer that is my preference. Sell me on the conversion of 100 from stock to crawler.
Wont happen. 100s arent crawlers. If you were to drop the serious cash to build as such, you'll be sacrificing everything you bought the 100 for. Get an 80 if you want to rock crawl with a larger truck. Or keep the 100, slightly mod it for durability(tires/lift/slee skids&sliders) and use it to tow your camper and take the whole family on trips.

The 100 is by far your better choice for long trips and highway driving compared to the 4R or even an 80.

If you're still hell-bent on making a rig into a crawler:

do the 4R up, and keep the 100 to tow and DD, because even as it stands now it(4R) probably sucks for towing on the passes. Making it bigger wont make it better
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournID View Post
all the proceeds from 100 could go to debt reduction.

Flip a coin
Sell the 100 then and have more coins to flip. Seriously. Unsecured debt, if that is what you have, will eat you alive, especially if it sticks around as you get older and have kids.

The smart move is to have one rig that you can really afford to wheel and one very reliable vehicle that is purely for road. If you have a camper, sell that, too, and tent camp .

My 80 has 37's quite simply because my other car is a pimped out minivan (and 80's can run 37's like most 4x4's can run 33's, so why not ?).
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

It sounds like you have a bunch of factors that make the 4Runner the better choice:

* You want to wheel it hard. Your 4Runner is a better crawler than the 100 will be without dumping SAS money into it.

* You'll save money and pay off debts by selling the 100.

* You already have a bunch of the modification work done on the 4Runner.

If you were planning to change your style of wheeling to milder, overland type trails, then the 100 might be a better choice. If not, stick with what you already have and pay down your debts.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks for all the advice.. Sold our 30' camper today .. Hooray! Will sell 100, it was rode hard so not sure how much will get out of it, but will take a little and get the Marlin I've wanted. Re-gear. And start saving for SAS. With the boss' permission of course.

Off to detail 100.

Thanks all