Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Bent ARB Bull Bar

If someone was in a fender bender and bent their ARB bull bar a little, is it possible to straighten them? One of the winch roller tabs (old style ARB) is bent and it looks like the bumper racked a bit. But no sheet metal damage and the bumper is pretty much functionally fine. Trying to decide about putting in a claim or not. My deductible is $500, so prolly 1/2 of a new ARB. But if it might be <$500 to fix, well that's a better option.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Rising Sun member

frame alignment shop maybe?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
frame alignment shop maybe?
The way the ARB is made is as a box around the frame horns, so I'm thinking that straightening is going to be tough. Guessing it's a matter of cutting and re-building. As it mulls in my head I'm thinking I'll have to replace, so I'll probably have the claims guy evaluate it. Although I'm thinking I'll be buying a new bumper and selling this one to someone who can cut and remake it. Like someone who, say, is doing an SAS and would need to cut up an IFS bumper anyway... There's like 100 lbs of good steel in an ARB. What really worries me is getting a winch in it now. I was getting ready to bolt one in this spring and now the hole is distorted. :-(

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun member

I think the newer ARB's stick out farther than the older styles. I kinda liked the older style because it tucked nice and close. Or maybe that was just the non-winch style.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I think the newer ARB's stick out farther than the older styles. I kinda liked the older style because it tucked nice and close. Or maybe that was just the non-winch style.
For my old heap there is only one winch bull bar, old style (p/n 3414070). It does not stick out very far on the Hilux anyway. As designed there is barely enough room to open the hood. ARB didn't even put on the antenna tabs like on Cruisers it's so close.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Got a pic??

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Got a pic??
Will get one later.

Digital. What? Who?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, what exactly do you need to do? Just tweak the winch fairlead mount back? Perhaps it can be pulled with a winch?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, Oleg was able to pull a bent back wing on the 62's ARB with a frame straightener more towards where it was supposed to be but it doesn't sound like where your ARB is bent. Show us the pic!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Dave, what exactly do you need to do? Just tweak the winch fairlead mount back? Perhaps it can be pulled with a winch?
The center section, where the winch would have gone, is punched in a little and the right side tab, where the right roller would have gone, is bent down. The upper section bar is bent back and pushed up a few inches, so the whole bumper is tweaked. It was about 1/4 mile from work where I got in the wreck, so I didn't drive far enough to judge if the alignment is bad, so it's possible that the frame got tweaked. I sorta doubt that because I was going pretty slow when I hit her. Dang good that I drive a 22R-E instead of something that REALLY accelerates, because in 20 feet I just do not go from zero to very fast!

OTOH, this is a 4 point offense apparently (have to go to court), so I might not get to drive for a while. What is the rolling point accumulation period anyway? I might be at 12 now in under 3 years. I really am a bad driver, very bad.