Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 1993 Toyota Pickup leaf springs question

A friend of mine was recently told that the leaf springs on his 240,000 mile 1993 Toyota pickup were rusty and broken and needed replacing. For leaf springs, shackles and U-bolts, all stock heights, installed he was quoted about $1600.

He likes the shop, but this seemed really high to me. Is there something special about these? Seems to me that a decent used pair from the Yota Yard and some new bushings are all that would be needed. Then a couple hours labor.

Do you need new U bolts?

Its a CO rig so I can't imagine its too rusty.

Same place quoted $500 to do new front pads and about the same for a water pump.

All seem like a perfect job for Joe at CTS.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Lifted

thats real high i wouldnt let them do anything unless u dont care bout thrown money away, i would do the u bolts they are cheap, prob can get away with not doing the shackles, front brake pads by the way takes bout 20 min to do... GO SOME WHERE ELSE!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah you should do new U-bolts, they are disposable.. they don't really do anything until you stretch them, and stretching them a second time is inviting issues, which while unlikely could be costly. $60 at 4WP for a new set, plus you can cut the old ones off which can save time, particularly if the nuts face down and have been dragged across things.

But yes why not a nice set of OME springs, or maybe contact Slee's shop for a set of take-offs? I don't know if they have any, but I've personally contributed to a totally fine set of Taco springs hitting their dumpster in the past.

That price seems high for just new pads, if it were new Toyota rotors then probably ok. Price actually seems cheap for the water pump, presuming that includes swapping the timing belt? I dunno... but yeah send the work to someone you know!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

It would not surprise me at all that the shackles are rusted solid in the spring bushing eyes. Both of mine were and no amount of Kryoil, heat and cussing ever broke them loose. Needing two shackles is probably a given. On the upside, the spring bushing rubber will probably be pre-torn off the bushing sleeve, since that's what has been rotating since about 2001.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

price is really high, get new u-bolts its not safe to resuse old ones. ask RockRunner, he found a place to get ubolts for $10 each, id also reccomend just getting used leaf springs from u-pull-n-pay, there only like $25-45 each
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks. I understand about the U Bolts and suspected as much on the other items.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

I would be hesitant to use used leaves. While they may not be broken, they're certainly going be used and not holding the rate they came from the factory with. I would expect Taco springs to be as commonly available (read = cheap compared to Land Cruiser stuff) as j**p springs.

I think I read somewhere that people were using S10 springs in their 1st gen pickups and runners. I guess they're supposed to be longer and more flexy?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I would be hesitant to use used leaves. While they may not be broken, they're certainly going be used and not holding the rate they came from the factory with. I would expect Taco springs to be as commonly available (read = cheap compared to Land Cruiser stuff) as j**p springs.

I think I read somewhere that people were using S10 springs in their 1st gen pickups and runners. I guess they're supposed to be longer and more flexy?
It's a common swap to use 63" Chevy truck springs, which would be from a 1/2 ton full size. But this is not a bolt-on swap, you have to weld on new hangers. Yes, it's to significantly increase flex.

Tacoma springs share the same width (60mm) and flat length (51") as 89-95 Hilux, although I think they have a lower spring rate because swapping even old used Hilux springs onto a Tacoma will result in about an inch of lift and positive arch (Tacoma rears must be really soft, 'cause my factory springs ran flat even without a WilderNest). Maybe it's a hanger location thing that spreads the spring more, I honestly don't know. Might also be a different center pin offset (the stock Hilux spring is 4" offset, short side to the front).

Thing is /cheap/ stock-height springs are actually not as easy to find as you might think. Also finding used 89-95 rear springs is a bit of a trick because of the demand from Tacoma people. Personally, I think the best option is medium duty OME Dakars, which won't give a ton of lift on a typical truck. Northwest Offroad also used to sell a higher spring rate, stock height pack. I think they called it their contractor replacements.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

For that price he could get an entire OME setup!!!!

I will parrot the U-bolt suggestions, but also would suggest getting new bushings. Amazing how worn bushings affect the ride, and they are cheap.

For a '93? My '91 with a lot more miles than that still has it's original rear springs. And it still didn't noticeably sag with a 1FZ-FE, A443 in the back. (see pictures).
Name:  not sagging 2.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  not sagging 1.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  143.3 KB

Dan