Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Vehicle temp registration

I'm trying to get this info from the DMV but I keep getting put on hold and not getting through. I'm looking to purchase a LC in Cali and bring it back. Can anyone tell me the process of getting a temp permit to drive this thing back? Is the DMV here the correct place to get it, or could it be just as easily done in Cali?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

need to do it in the state you plan to register. So yes CO.

But I think the plate stays with the car in CA. Not if sold to an out of state new owner but will the seller let you have the plate? Add to your insurance and drive her home I say.

Friend of mine is doing it as I type this now. Just bought an RV and driving it home on old plate.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Spot on.

To get a temporary tag you should just need the VIN and proof of insurance. I got a couple temp tags for the 60 (from MT, to here in CO) while we dealt with a titling issue on it. Very easy to walk into the DMV and walk out with a temp tag (I think they were 60 day tags). Not sure about CO, but other states add fines if you show up for the VIN inspection without current plates (current also implies registered to you). Cheaper to get a temp tag, drive it there and avoid the fine, just in case.

You could probably do it at any CO DMV if you wanted. I have never waited more than 5 minutes at the Clear Creek County Register (the office that doubles as DMV). My sister uses Clear Creek for stuff like that instead of waiting in line at Jeffco (where she resides).

Dan
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Did you find an FJ40 that quick?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM

I'm toying with the idea, yes. Don't have the link right now but it is on ebay in arcada cali if you want to check it out and let me know if I'm stupid. I'm not paying what he is asking for it.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

sounds like fun
82 FJ40
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dang, I thought you were at least going to try one out for a week test drive - you don't mess around. Remote or local, I'd be happy to take a look and share an opinion.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

I'll send a link to it when I get back to a computer.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM

So first off, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...5fTrucks#v4-33

I have contacted him and I'm paying less than the price on there, should I decide to get it.

Yes, Ricardo, I am moving extremely quickly. Let me explain the situation.

After coming home from the WBPP on Sat I was talking to my wife about how I almost had you talked in to letting me take your 40 home. I've been talking to her about wanting to beef up the 62 a little with skid plates and sliders, and then possibly figuring something out like an ARB rear (I tried the Aussie and it was horrible) and told her I was wanting to spend a few grand on this kind of crap just to make sure I am protecting the newer decent paint job and such and just get it ready for Moab in general. Provided her an alternative that I could also just be done all together with the 62 and put that money into a 40 instead that I can use to beat up on the trails and just have my 62 as the daily driver. She said that was fine, but that I need to be looking for a 40 to have at Moab if that is the case, so I don't do something dumb with my 62. This 40 is a truck that I have no intention of restoring what so ever. Just something to beat up on some rocks with.

So that kind of solidified the fact that I need to start looking soon, along with the fact that I want to get it before she changes her mind. So, I started looking for a 5k or less rig that is decent for trails mostly and that I won't feel bad about dragging it along the rocks and dinging it up. Something that has a lift on it and things like that so that I won't be pouring more money into it along with my 62.

That said, feel free to flame away.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

And yes, I will tell him to correct the front bezel.