Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow what a road trip... Arcata up in NW California? but OTOH you'll know that thing pretty well by the time you get back! how fun

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
...Provided her an alternative that I could also just be done all together with the 62 and put that money into a 40 instead that I can use to beat up on the trails and just have my 62 as the daily driver. She said that was fine, but that I need to be looking for a 40 to have at Moab if that is the case, so I don't do something dumb with my 62. This 40 is a truck that I have no intention of restoring what so ever. Just something to beat up on some rocks with.

That said, feel free to flame away.
You don't need to go all the way to California to find a 40 to "beat on the rocks with".

and if that's all you want to do, why not just buy a *eep? seriously. 40's are classics man.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Perhaps I should clarify my "Beat up on the rocks" statement. I don't mean that I will intentionally drive it to tear it up, I mean that I will be fine doing some trails that I would not really want to do in my 62 because I won't be as concerned if it gets a ding here and there. I'm sure you're right, that I could probably find something closer, and I haven't been looking long, but currently that is about the best deal I have found and there really isn't anything here in that price range, and road trips are great so it doesn't scare me some to travel to find something that I would rather have over a *eep! I'm open to things closer if anyone knows of a sub 5k 40 that is lifted and ready to trail ride.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

here you go, local late model square bezel for not much more than the one you're considering in Ca. which is an earlier model with F, drum brakes, etc.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2285957368.html

'85 FJ60
Old 03-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I think I am a little partial to the one in Cali because it has the v8 and lift on it already. Like I said, I won't be able to spend any more money on it than about 5k and I want to be able to do whatever trails I want right off the bat, not look at lifting it and so forth afterwards. And like I said, he's agreed on me paying less than what he is asking (4.5 range) so that one is already quite a bit more expensive. I would like to find something comparable around here, I just don't see those two as comparable.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

you'll spend $1000 in gas driving it back, plus airfare out there.

I'll keep my eyes open for you. Didn't know you were partial to v8's, so I'll keep that in mind.

good luck.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Not really all that partial to V8's but would find that beneficial. If I were going to restore it I would def want the 2f, but it won't be restored to any pristine kind of condition. I am more looking at the fact that it has a lift and winch on it already. I figure I'm looking at 5.5 to get that truck back, so I definitely know it is going to cost me some money to go grab it. I view that as an adventure! Hopefully this doesn't turn into another club issue where I go through 4 more trucks after getting this one from Cali and end up with a 4 runner! Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me! I'm basically looking for something that has a mild lift on it that I can fit 33's on, don't want to get much bigger than that I don't think, and any other add ons are a bonus such as winches, and of course the less rust the better. Perhaps this should be moved to the wanted section. Didn't really mean for it to go this direction on this thread.

Last edited by satchel; 03-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
... Hopefully this doesn't turn into another club issue where I go through 4 more trucks after getting this one from Cali and end up with a 4 runner! Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I would recommend to any prospective 40 buyer, a thorough check out before buying. If you have budget range that you are looking at, an inspection is even more important. The beauty (and curse ) of these old trucks is how easy they are to work on/modify.

Without a solid recommendation, I would be leary of traveling that far for an old 40. For the type of wheeling that I understand you are interested in, I wouldn't sweat the load on V8 vs F/2F or the lift. I've seen Dan and Matt wheel plenty with the straigt 6, small tires and no lift. I've been able to go plenty of cool places with a fairly stock setup.

The most important thing is to match the rig and whatever work it might need with your budget and desire to drive vs wrench on it. A bit tricky for sure and I've seen a couple that didn't get it right for them and it took all the fun out of it in a hurry.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
here you go, local late model square bezel for not much more than the one you're considering in Ca. which is an earlier model with F, drum brakes, etc.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2285957368.html
whoa,

that thing is nice.

i wish i'da found that rig. looks pretty complete.. uncut dash and everything.
82 FJ40