Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
whoa,

that thing is nice.

i wish i'da found that rig. looks pretty complete.. uncut dash and everything.
Yep, that one looks like a good deal for an '81.

He has a pretty solid looking '69 too:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2290339578.html

sorry for the hijack.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

So, lets discuss a few things about that rig after looking at the link:

1-I have seen many V8 conversions, they can be a big can of worms. You need to find out who did the V8 conversion and what components were used. Most of these are cobbled together shade tree jobs that have issues with over heating, etc. Be prepared to work on this thing.

2-What transmission does it have? Stock Toyota 4 spd or an SM420? It looks like a GM style shifter cane from what I can see. Again, be cautious of this. If the tranny conversion and/or rear cross member was cobbled together there could be a lot of work to make this thing right.

3-A 1974 will have coarse spline axle/birfs. These were OK with stock tires and straight 6's. With bigger tires and a V8 you will need to plan on replacing broken axles & birfields or replace them with Longfield stuff. Good but not cheap.

If this rig was local and you could drive it a lot and check it out thoroughly, I might be a little more comfortable with it. I would be pretty nervous about traveling all the way out there only to discover it's a POS, especially if you already bought it online. You might want to post up on MUD and see if anyone there knows this guy or the rig and comment on it's condition.

Quite honestly? That 1981 looks like a really good deal, especially if you make him an offer of 5K or so. Keep this in mind too, assuming the basic mechanical condition of the vehicle is good:

It will have OEM disc brakes in front and may have factory power steering, which the 74 has neither. It will have the stronger fine spline axles, large pattern knuckles and the stronger split case transfer case.

I didnt see where the 74 had lockers, assuming it doesnt, this 81 will go any where in Moab the 74 will go, and get you back too. The slightly larger tires and small lift the 74 has dont make it wheel much better. When you consider the strength of the 81's drive train components and most likely better reliability, it's a pretty easy choice for me. But thats just my .02.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun member

His other ad says it's an '80, in which case it won't have the split case. But yes looks nice a nice deal. Much better than $5200 for that one in Cali. And as far as driving that thing back from Cali - I drove mine back from Grand Junction and it was a near disaster. You're a braver man than me. If you do go buy it, I would find a friend with a trailer and schedule a road trip.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Buy the 1980 if it's what he says it is. We can throw a rattle can paint job on it and the lunchbox locker you took out of the 60 in an afternoon and it will wheel Moab better than the 74.

Depends what month 1980 it is, could be a split TC or not. Either way it's a better deal than the 74 IMHO.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Interesting comments, all. Thanks for your input! I have a feeling that buying that 80 model would lead to me want to be putting a lift on it and buying 33's and so forth, I guess that is what is holding me back as I can't really put any more money into it. I can put my aussie in the back of either of them though. I'm a little surprised the course spline would not hold up well to 33's and a v8.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you're really careful you can probably get by with them. But if you get tempted to use the skinny pedal, spin a wheel then have it grab traction.....they will pop like a cheap balloon.

Read Ricardo's thread on the add a leaf conversion he just did. I think he spent under $200 and got 2" or more of lift. He runs 33's now with no clearance issues. We can do that mod in the same afternoon we add the locker and give it fresh paint! For the same amount of money we can have a rig ready to wheel for you by Moab and it will be reliable.

There is no way that rig in CA is going to be ready to drive and be reliable without also putting some money into it. And when you're done doing that, it won't be as a good a setup as the newer one.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Dangit, I guess I'll have to go take a look at that 81/80 model. Just can't go against so many people telling me otherwise. Anyone that actually knows anything about 40's is more than welcome to join me, I'll pay for food.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

They're both going to be money pits.

If you want a stockish cruiser get the 80 and pretty much keep it that way. If you want a v8 get the other or keep looking.
TLCA#4180
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM

The guy with the 80 model won't budge at all on price... I'm so torn. Perhaps I need to wait a while.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
I'm so torn. Perhaps I need to wait a while.
Best advice you've gotten all day, right there

I bought the first 40 I went to look at because I wanted one. Knowing then what I knew later, I should have waited and saved myself a ton of money. It was a '76 that a father and son were restoring and had done a lot of work to...over a period of 5 years.

I spent probably another $5-6k more on that rig on top of what I had paid for it and it STILL wasn't anywhere near where I wanted it to be. I ended up buying a 40 that was 90% of what I wanted my 40 to be and sold the '76 for a huge loss and IMO still came out ahead in the end.

Drive a 40 around for awhile...Make sure it is really want you want in a long road trip off road rig. They are a ton of fun, but IMO you really need to spend some time in one first.

In the mean time, take the 62 to Moab, do the trails that rarely if ever cause any body damage (lots of 'em) and keep your eye out for the right 40 that you can go see, drive, and make sure is the one you want.

EDIT: Looked at the 40 in the link...I wouldn't pay that much $$, or even $4k without seeing it in person. Sounds like a lot of added stuff that may or may not work, be in good shape, etc. "Barings" need to be repacked, winch needs new wiring, needs "TLC"...You might find that the soft top is junk, etc. - If you really want, find someone in CA to go look at it for you.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater